Author Topic: Trekking Toboggan?  (Read 4326 times)

Offline cmac

Trekking Toboggan?
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:25:24 PM »
Have thought about building a toboggan or sled for winter treks for some time now. I always liked the convenience of the ones the Army uses but want it to be more primitive. Any thoughts or photos would be great.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
Re: Trekking Toboggan?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 01:47:12 AM »
I am making one right now...

I found a rustic native Cree toboggan plan on the www.frontierfolk.net website. so far so good, but I have not gotten to the steam bending part...

good luck

K
Galations 2:20

Black Hand

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 03:53:20 AM »
cmac,
If you PM me your e-mail, I'll send pictures of the one I built a few years ago.
Albert

Offline cmac

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 04:55:10 AM »
Thanks for all the links. Any on a toboggan or pulk sled with more of a dished oval shape? I feel they may travel better in the woods and they have a bit of a side which would help keep gear or game in the sled.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 05:39:36 AM »
CMAC, you might try giving Paul Bergren a call, he makes toboggan's and world class snow shoes and dog sleds. His sleds have won the big Alaska race. If you send me a personal email through this site I will dig up his contact info for you.    Smylee

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 03:20:50 AM »
If I were going to built a sled to haul gear I would probably go to Kirafu.net and copy one of their designs in traditional materials using some bent wood ribs and turn up the nose as in a tradional tobbogan shape a bit.  There are also aukio (not certain of spelling) which were traditional with Lappland reindeer herders which seem well proven. 

Offline Knob Mountain

• Knob Mountain Muzzleloading
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
I made one years ago. I think my design came from one of the books in Roy Underhills Woodwright series.  It was pretty easy.  You could use green wood and not need to do any steaming.  I used regular rough cut from the mill and sawed it to dimension.  Steamers are easy to make from a few pcs of stove pipe, a pot for water and an electric hot plate. You can see a picture of the steam set up on the cover of one of his books.   I'm not sure if its a historically corret toboggan but it worked well.   Now I wonder where I ever put that thing.
Dave Keck  Knob Mountain Muzzleloading Berwick, PA

Offline cmac

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 03:02:04 AM »
I think I'm just going to make a 12"-16" wide x 6' slab (with multiple boards)and tapered ends. Probably ash. Steam bend the 2 ends and roll till they stand maybe 4" above the base. Add side panels. Attach canvas with a trim board all around the top. The canvas will cover the load. Final stephis  will be to drill holes and zig zag hemp rope threw the trim board. Each loop rope will connect in the middle over the canvas and extend out front or back for the pull strap. This will be very similar to an Akio sled with out the sides dished. Oh, and there will be a few 3/4x1/2" runner strips on the bottom and alittle artificial age added........... Now I just need time!   I used akio sleds in the Army and love em