Author Topic: Typo in Muzzle Blast article Dec. issue  (Read 4694 times)

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Typo in Muzzle Blast article Dec. issue
« on: December 12, 2011, 02:50:49 AM »
I've not seen the latest MB magazine but I have heard that there is a typo in the latest of Wallace Gusler's feature articles on antique longrifles. In the description of the bore size of a wall rifle it apparently says 1 and 13/16 inch --- it should say 1 and 3/16".

I'd appreciate it if someone who has recieved the magazine would look up the page number where thie typo is found and post it here.

Gary
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 05:16:52 AM by flintriflesmith »
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Typo in Muzzle Blast article Dec. issue
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 02:59:32 AM »
Page 45, Gary.

Jim

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 01:34:20 AM »
Great article, looking forward to learning more about this rifle.
Andover, Vermont

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »
I am kind of naive in this area, what is a wall rifle exactly?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
They were essentially the long range rifle of the round ball era.
Large bore, usually about 1" and very heavy 30 pounds or more.
Dan
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:29:01 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 01:16:24 AM »
They were essentially the long range rifle of the round ball era.
Large bore, usually about 1" and very heavy 30 pounds or more.
Dan
Dan covered it well but I wanted to add that they were not intended for hunting. A lot saw service at small forts and/or fortified implacements. George Washingto commented on the usefulness of their long range accuracy.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."

Offline bgf

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 05:27:09 AM »
Flintriflesmith,
I'm confused as to what makes this one a "wall rifle".  1 3/16" at the breech isn't that heavy with a .68 cal. bore; couldn't it just be a "bear rifle"?  I looked at RCA and read the Muzzle Blasts article and still don't know how I should know it is a wall rifle, if that makes sense.  What am I missing?  If the answer will give away part 2, just let me know, and I'll wait to read it!

One interesting thing is that it seems like this could be at least a third generation re-use of the lock, as I can't see any purpose in adding a fly detent to the original lock just to put it on this rifle with a single trigger.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 05:48:26 AM »
Flintriflesmith,
I'm confused as to what makes this one a "wall rifle".  1 3/16" at the breech isn't that heavy with a .68 cal. bore; couldn't it just be a "bear rifle"?  I looked at RCA and read the Muzzle Blasts article and still don't know how I should know it is a wall rifle, if that makes sense.  What am I missing?  If the answer will give away part 2, just let me know, and I'll wait to read it!

One interesting thing is that it seems like this could be at least a third generation re-use of the lock, as I can't see any purpose in adding a fly detent to the original lock just to put it on this rifle with a single trigger.

The reference in the article is to another rifle made at Rappa Forge near Fredericksburg and currently in the West point collection. It has a 1 and 3/16 inch BORE (119 Caliber) and twelve grooves (furrows). I don't have my notes on the gun at hand but it weighs over 30 pounds. The is another like it at RockIsland Aresel Museum in IL.

Offline bgf

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 06:16:44 AM »
Sorry for the stupid question -- I was obviously confused.  When I reread that paragraph (was looking up the typo) and then saw the comments about wall rifles, I somehow jumped tracks to thinking the rifle that is the subject of the article was supposed to be a wall rifle, but I couldn't figure out why.  30 lb. rifle with 1 3/16" bore would be a wall rifle for sure!