Author Topic: Wind  (Read 7089 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Wind
« on: December 12, 2011, 03:54:44 AM »
I have mentioned the wind blows here?

This a 54 with 104 gr of FFF Swiss vs a gallon jug of water. Range is not great 25 yards maybe a hair farther. Too windy for a long shot.

This is the 16 bore vs a RR tie plate at 30 yards or a little more. Plate was about 1/2 thick and it cracked it on the back side. 140 gr FF and a pure lead ball. Thin linen patch. Was not too worried about accuracy given the distance. Should have shot it higher for better effect I suppose.

I have shot 2 of these 4+ gal jugs with the 16 bore and the bullet always whines away after exiting the jug.

My daughter was visiting and wanted to do some shooting or I would not have been out...

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline T*O*F

Re: Wind
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 04:23:18 AM »
Ya didn't have to.  We've already noticed a lot of wind coming from your direction.  ;)
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 05:26:14 AM »
Dan, ya gotta use more powder, that green rascal tried to run away after you hit it center.   Smylee

Dave Faletti

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 06:41:53 AM »
Thats a light breeze.  Its only double digits and you can stand upright still. :)

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 07:25:05 AM »
Thats a light breeze.  Its only double digits and you can stand upright still. :)

Yeah if it was really blowing we would not have gone out at all. But it was not blowing semis off the road so I figured it was safe.

Dan

Dave Faletti

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:50:12 AM »
I don't think I have ever shot a rifle in a wind like that.  Have flushed pheasants in very windy conditions.  Made for real crazy wing shooting. Don't recall connecting on any.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 04:51:43 PM »
It looked pretty cold and with the wind blowing like that I'd say fridgid. But then I live in Georgia, where it rarely gets to freezing
 ;D

Dogshirt

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 06:32:34 PM »
Around here it's just a breeze up to 35MPH, then the wind picks up. One of the rules of life here is
"NEVER open both car doors at the same time!" ;)

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 07:11:33 PM »
Dan, ya gotta use more powder, that green rascal tried to run away after you hit it center.   Smylee

Looked a mite chilly.

Good one, Smylee.

TKs Dan.

greybeard

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 07:48:09 PM »

This a 54 with 104 gr of FFF Swiss vs a gallon jug of water. Range is not great 25 yards maybe a hair farther. Too windy for a long shot.

This is the 16 bore vs a RR tie plate at 30 yards or a little more. Plate was about 1/2 thick and it cracked it on the back side. 140 gr FF and a pure lead ball. Thin linen patch. Was not too worried about accuracy given the distance. Should have shot it higher for better effect I suppose.

I have shot 2 of these 4+ gal jugs with the 16 bore and the bullet always whines away after exiting the jug.

My daughter was visiting and wanted to do some shooting or I would not have been out...

Dan
Looks like fun in the wind.   Nice to put a face to the name   !!!      Bob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 08:30:30 PM »
You're just having too much fun Dan.  It was fun to watch, too.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 11:57:56 PM »
After the shot of the 16 bore, the ball whining off was indicitive of decent remaining velocity.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 03:07:10 AM »
Around here it's just a breeze up to 35MPH, then the wind picks up. One of the rules of life here is

Heh! Heh!
Unless you want everything blown out of it.
Dan

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 03:52:52 AM »
Offhand in the wind is one of life's little pleasures, treasures and challenges.

Offline walt53

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 06:03:54 AM »
DAN , Iwas born and raised just north of GLACIER NATONAL PIECE PARK,And know all to well what the wind can do.Blowing semi's off the road
is just a breeze.If you don't have to stand at a 45 degree angle into the wind your good to gooo.WALT

Offline Kermit

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »

Maybe not a car, but that's the only way the cab of my truck gets cleaned. About once a year, regular as clockwork. :-\
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 03:49:41 AM »
Wind sucks 8)

Centershot

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 04:13:05 AM »
DAN , Iwas born and raised just north of GLACIER NATONAL PIECE PARK,And know all to well what the wind can do.Blowing semi's off the road
is just a breeze.If you don't have to stand at a 45 degree angle into the wind your good to gooo.WALT

The Montana DOT has a weather station on a little  tower on I90, near the top of the first hill west of the Yellowstone Bridge at Livingston. Its a bad spot for wind.
Wind blew over a semi there about 3 years ago. They put the gate down at the exits to run traffic through town since it was not safe there or on the east hill either I suspect. Some eastern trucker did not want to be bothered so he drives around the gate. HIS truck blows over on TWO new  SUVs belonging to the Sheriffs Dept, the deputys were out working the accident but still had to do some dodging.
The little weather station registered a gust or two at 150 mph gust and then the wind speed gizmo broke...
I don't know what they charged the trucker with but the list was pretty long as I recall.
Dan