Author Topic: When life gives you lemons  (Read 2592 times)

marc

When life gives you lemons
« on: December 12, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
I picked up a percussion rifle that someone had put together a several years ago. It has a bit too much wood left on it for my taste, but it shot well. Brass hardware of Lancaster style. I used it as my foul weather hunting rifle. Nicely figured maple stock that was either flawed structurally (probably) or improperly inletted (also probable). I got it dirt cheap as it had some cracks around the breech area; it was way less than what the parts cost. I made several repairs to the stock over the years and used it for a good twenty years. A really bad crack developed in the wrist, bad enough that I didn't want to shoot it again. I decided to restock it into a Deep River North Carolina style. Re-using as much of the hardware as I could. (Yes, I'm cheap. Twenty years of service out of a $65 gun, and I'm still re-using the parts.) Actually I believe that recycling old but good hardware is a long rifle tradition worth continuing. My least favorite piece on this rifle is the triggerguard. I thought I could remodel it into something more to my liking. To make a long story a little shorter, I didn't get the finger rail properly annealed and now have a less than ideal two-piece triggerguard. Sound familiar? Guess I will buy myself a Christmas present from Track of the Wolf!

Offline Ben I. Voss

Re: When life gives you lemons
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 06:00:12 PM »
Good story, but we need pictures (before and after)!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 06:38:24 PM »
I've repaired a guard broken in the rail by filing the inner surface flat and soldering in a piece of sheet brass the entire length and width of the rail.  After re-shaping and a bit of tarnish, it can be detected but looks good and believable as a repair.  There are examples of worse "in use" cob-jobs on many longrifles.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 07:53:41 PM »
I once cut a guard through the rail, added a piece of brass to lengthen the rail, and silver soldered the three pieces back together.  This was on a finished rifle that had been around the block several times.
So, you can repair the guard without a lot of worry.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.