Author Topic: Slow Motion Flintlock Videos  (Read 4901 times)

arcticap

Slow Motion Flintlock Videos
« on: November 21, 2008, 08:20:49 PM »
There's a bunch of slow motion videos of flintlocks being fired on this website. Some of them show how the powder can lift up from the pan and ignite while in the air.
Others show flintlock ignition with the rifle being held upside down.
The last ones also show the PRB exiting the barrel.
Ignition is compared with the bevel up & bevel down.
The videos move so slowly that it takes time to view them all, but they can be stopped & delayed easy enough.
I didn't recall seeing these before, so I'm posting them for those who may not have seen them either.
The quality of the video is pretty amazing.

http://www.blackpowdermag.com/featured-articles/ultra-high-speed-flintlock-movie.php

Also, in the left hand column is a link labeled "more high speed videos from Friendship". I found that once these are loaded the advance can be controlled as desired by using the cursor to move the progress button that's located under the screen:

http://www.blackpowdermag.com/featured-articles/more-high-speed-video-from-friendship.php

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 08:52:05 PM by arcticap »

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Re: Slow Motion Flintlock Videos
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 05:38:45 PM »
Good Morning,
Those links are  to my web site.  My son and I started it in 2006 to post past experiments and to publish new ones as they were done.  The first link is to high speed stuff I did in my garage with the help of the regional rep from Olympus.  The last link is video from  Gun Makers' Hall at Friendship.  The man holding the locks is ALR's own David Price.  David primed and handled the locks while I burned CDs for the lock owners.  David was a great help.  We videoed over 30 that day; without David's help it would have pushed us to do half that many.

Other things on the web site that might be of interest are  articles on timing priming powder, vent location, and locks.   There are also high speed still photos of patches separating from the ball and spark studies comparing lead vs leather as the method of holding.  (Basically a mix of "flintlocks and science" when I could get them close enough to combine two passions.)

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 08:00:15 PM »
We all are in debt to you, Larry, for your extensive work with locks and time photos.  Thanks.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 06:09:39 AM »
I can only echo what Daryl has already said.  Thanks Larry!  Appreciate it! :)

roundball

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »
We've been fortunate to have had the benefit of Larry's outstanding work on another forum for a couple years now...it is truly unprecedented in the world of Flintlocks and we're all the richer for Larry's unselfish sharing of his time and effort, to say nothing of the excellent quality of the work product itself... glad to see its getting broader exposure

PGosnell

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 04:32:32 AM »
Larry, you are a gentleman and a scholar for having documented your work and sharing it with us.  We are all enriched through your endeavors.  Paul