Author Topic: anybody using there flintlock in reg buck hunting season in pa???  (Read 17779 times)

don getz

Re: anybody using there flintlock in reg buck hunting season in pa???
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 07:08:59 AM »
Winemaker....I know what you are talking about.   I have hunted for over 60 years and never thought I would reach this point, but I don't really want to kill another deer.   I had a bad feeling several years ago when I shot my last doe.  After
I shot it, it's two yearlings ran over to the side about 40 yards away and stopped.....right away I said to myself, "why did you do that ?"  I knew right there that old age had caught up to me.  I'll still be out there in two weeks in the hope that
this big buck will wander by, actually I hope it doesn't, because I'm not sure what I will do.  But, it would be nice to see it............................Don

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 07:23:50 AM »
hummm....i never seem to see anybody using a flintlock in reg penna rifle buck season.anybody out there in pa doing it that way?....sonny

Hunt with what YOU want to.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 04:23:42 PM »
hummm....i never seem to see anybody using a flintlock in reg penna rifle buck season.anybody out there in pa doing it that way?....sonny

I use mine in New Jersey. Put the slug gun away for good!

Duane

Offline bluedog1

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 08:22:14 AM »
   Flint gives the hunt an added dimension.  It makes the hunt more interesting and more fun.  Some think it is a big handicap.  I honestly believe that those people don't know the capabilities that a flint in the hands of an experienced shooter has.  Not saying that I am the best shot but I do shoot black powder at the range at least once every week for a few hours.  I also consider hunting a sport.  I have taken a flinter to the woods for the past few years during rifle season and it has given me renewed passion to hunt.  jack

Offline winemaker

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2008, 05:18:48 AM »
I did the same thing Don, but it was in my pasture behind the house. Those 2 yearlings stayed there all winter and spring. Every time I'd take in round bales there they were. That was it, I've never felt the same. I hunt more now than ever and enjoy it more, I just don't shoot. Beef tastes better anyway.

BuffaloGun

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2008, 04:37:12 PM »
I've been using my .54 Lancaster for years but will take my .54 Virginia this year.
First day will find me on the farms in Wyoming County and I'll head up to Bradford if the first two days come up croppers.

Offline rf50cal

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2008, 02:56:06 PM »
I've hunted the late flintlock season since 1980 and have only taken one buck. I've never shot shot a buck with my present  longrifle.

This year, to increase my odds, I'm going to use my .50 cal. longrifle in the regular season.  It will be a challenge with the point rule.......maybe I'll get lucky

Roger Fleisher

Offline Glenn Hurley Jr.

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 05:32:34 AM »
I toted my 50 caliber flintlock yesterday here in PA for the opening day.  Of the two bucks I saw , only one was legal ( a really nice 8 point) and he was about 300 yards away.  Needless to say , I only watched him.  I had seen him earlier in the fall and his antlers were out past his ears by about 2 inches.  I hope to meet up with him later this year!

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 06:16:39 AM »
I used my matchlock today.  Burned about six feet of hemp rope.  Spooked one buck reaching for the 'Lively bounce' and my burning match.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 06:57:25 PM »
No deer yet  :(,but got this furry little critter with RCA 19. Back at them after I eat lunch :)

Uva uvam videndo varia fit

D. Bowman

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 09:51:42 PM »
I smoked a fat doe with the .62 on Tuesday. No shooter buck yet just a small 4 point. But we have meat in the freezer mmmm backstrapps!!!

Duane Bowman

BuffaloGun

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 11:09:46 PM »
I tagged a buck up in Bradford on Thursday morning. I hope to get back down and try for my doe tags in Bradford and Wyoming. I didn't see too many again this year.
Glad that PA Deer Management Plan has worked out so well.

Offline mountainman

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2008, 03:07:45 AM »
Well, I took the flintlock out on Monday morning in Pa. If I woulda known what I was going to see, I woulda taken my rifle with a scope, for about 150yds. away I spotted the face and the neck of the biggest buck in Pa. looking directly at me, I tried to use my one knee for a rest, well I nearly cried when I didn't hit it. :'(

YORKTOWNE54

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2008, 03:44:08 AM »
sonny this york county boy always carries the 54  cal york rifle. Get lots of looks during the rifle season, if they only knew that I can shoot it better than there scoped 30-06's I guess thats what makes us special.

Wild Willy

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2008, 10:00:24 AM »
I've got 11 deer and 5 turkey with my swivel breach .54/28ga.
Thats the only time I can use it for hunting according to PA regs.

Daryl

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2008, 06:37:25 PM »
I've got 11 deer and 5 turkey with my swivel breach .54/28ga.
Thats the only time I can use it for hunting according to PA regs.

Obviously, the game department thinks you have an unfair advantage. By your 'game bag' I'd concurr.   ;)  good stuff, Willy.