Author Topic: Tip Curtis for next build  (Read 5744 times)

magyar

Tip Curtis for next build
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:05:55 AM »
Well, I took other's advice and gave Mr. Curtis a call. What I thought would be 15 minutes or so was a hour long history lesson. It would have perfect had I not been at work! But I am very thankful for his time and insight into a number of things that I had not thought of. My question is if any of you have pics of his rifles you could post. Not being anywhere near his area I cannot just run by and see his work up close. So, any pics or feedback is appreciated. I am pretty sure he will be the one building my in-the-white rifle. Probably be a Klette style rifle. Thoughts?

Offline Long Ears

Re: Tip Curtis for next build
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 01:15:20 AM »
Magyar, I have completed a English Fowling piece from Tip. I had a hard time finding all of my parts from other vendors. I took the advice of folks on this forum and called Tip and had the same history lesson it sounds like. All of the parts I received were spot on and promptly shipped. His Walnut stock was very dense and straight. I had him inlet the barrel and drill the RR hole and it was perfect. I do not hesitate to call him first and ask lots of questions. I would love to visit his shop someday he must have a huge inventory. I also know he is quite a rifleman as well. I have seen a few of his "in the white" rifles when I went to Dixon's and his work looks pretty good after a little clean up before finishing if that is the direction you are going. Good Luck, Bob

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:33:35 AM »
I don't have any pictures of any of Tips rifles, but I purchase locks, triggers, and barrels from him to build my rifles because he has more parts than almost anyone out there.  I am able to walk into his shop and get the parts I need without having to wait to have them shipped. I have had the opportunity to look at and handle a couple of his Klette rifles (in the white and finished) and I liked them.  I like a rifle with a bit of weight to shoot freehand and these felt great for my purpose.  Balanced well, and slowed down the figure eight movement I am fighting now that I am am older.  I purchased a set of his hardware, barrel, and triggers to use to build a Klette for myself.  Good luck with your build.
                                                                        Roger Sells

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 03:57:34 AM »
His store is like a candy store for long rifle builders!!  He has thousands  of square feet of inventory and he wil give you a tour as well as a history lesson.  He loves the culture of the American Longrifle..... he does it for fun!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline FALout

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 02:48:05 AM »
I met Tip Curtis quite a few years ago at Friendship, and it was like walking into a candy store for gunbuilders, so many barrel and so many stocks,.......would really like to go to his place of business, nothing like that here where I live.
Bob

Offline blackdog

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 12:42:16 AM »
Tip is a great guy to deal with and he has tons stocks, barrels and parts.  This is one of his lancaster stock patterns-

Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Zack Ziarnek

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 05:26:39 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but I just wanted to tell you all... I spent over an hour with Tip at his shop Saturday(5/5/2012). What a very cool guy! There were at least 30 finished guns in the shop and hundreds of kits! Seriously I know he had well over 200 stocks! AMAZING! Yes, I bought one while I was there... Z

The other DWS

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
where is his shop located

Offline JDK

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:25:02 AM »
Cross Plains, TN.

J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

jeager58

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 07:35:46 AM »
if you know what type of rifle you want to build he will mail you pictures of the parts
and stock so you know what you are buying...phil