Author Topic: Trying to get help on some characteristics of origin  (Read 2961 times)

Offline wildcatter

Trying to get help on some characteristics of origin
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
An older gentlemen that lives near me was looking to get some help with this rifle.  It looks to me the lock has been reconverted to flint but other than that I can't help.

You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

greybeard

Re: Trying to get help on some characteristics of origin
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 08:19:15 PM »
Ohio or Western Pensylvania. thats all I got.  Bob

BGC

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 03:39:57 AM »
Finial on the patch box is very similar to the finial on my John McCamant rifle. Has some other characteristics as well.  I would include WV also in this group and anywhere along the National Road.  Nice rifle.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:45:42 AM by BGC »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:37:37 PM »
Pretty rifle; thank you for putting up here. It's always nice to see a good gun. It is a western school gun as has already been pointed out. The 'Ohio style' patchbox and the filed detail on the triggerguard bow pretty much confirm that. Would speculate that this gun dates to the period of 1820 to 1830. Everything looks right with the gun from what I can see.
Lock is nice and frizzen has been resoled. Hammer is a Euro item and could be replaced for a better look. Can't tell from photos if a reconversion has been done or not. Doesn't much matter as so many guns have had that done. Thanks again!
Dick