Author Topic: Silver maple blank  (Read 4584 times)

sparkchaser

Silver maple blank
« on: November 22, 2008, 12:15:19 AM »
I am going to have a chance at getting some silver maple logs from a tree that has one big branch that has fallen. The owner is also having some guys from a local wood carving club take down the rest of the tree.The trunk of the tree where the shoot came off of showed signs of having a lot of curl in it. Would silver maple be a good wood for a blank and are there parts of the log to stay away from?  Does anyone know of any web sites that might have cutting directions  for the logs?Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline t.caster

Re: Silver maple blank
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 12:42:37 AM »
I know this has come up in the past and the consensus was it is too soft for riflemaking. I know that is the case of the Silver Maples in mid-Mich that I have cut up. They can have fabulous curl! But remains fuzzy after cutting and carving and doesn't take stain well to take advantage of it's stripe. It might be OK for a plain rifle though. If you can get it cheap I would go for it.
Tom C.

sparkchaser

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 12:47:18 AM »
Thanks, I think it would be free ... A very good price. The tree is in central PA. I wanted to know what I was getting into before I invested too much time.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 01:30:24 AM »
I would never waste my time stocking a rifle in silver maple.

A couple of years ago I accidently got some in a batch of practice carving butt stocks for a NMLRA Seminar carving class and they were terrible. After investing several days trying to get a decent surface, some of the students had to start over on new blanks.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 02:11:05 AM »
It will crush, not carve.  Always warm and fuzzy as a mohair sweater!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 05:18:50 AM »
Recoil can do the crushing and open up some small gaps where you don't want them.  Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline winemaker

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 05:20:55 AM »
It doesn't even make good fire wood. Burns faster than you throw it in.

sparkchaser

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 05:26:08 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, you have saved me a great deal of time and effort! ;)

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 07:27:14 AM »
If it was free than I would still take the wood, you may still find it useful for other projects.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 07:28:19 AM by 44-henry »

Offline t.caster

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 02:32:46 AM »
I've got some in my fireplace RIGHT NOW! Unbelevable curl! Yes it burns fast, but it makes a hot curly flame !
Tom C.