Author Topic: Gun of Morgans Sharpshooters  (Read 3908 times)

Rkymtn57

Gun of Morgans Sharpshooters
« on: December 16, 2011, 09:04:54 PM »
I'm looking for a historian that might be able to help me decide which style of a rifle to build , depending on the location of my ancestors that fought at Saratoga with Morgan in VanSwearingin's company .
They enlisted at Fort Pitt. Aug. 9th 1776 were chosen to Morgans rifle regiment spring of 1777. Then on to build forts Laurens and MacIntire.
I wouldn't want a style of rifle developed later than 1777.
Thomas Dickerson's family  came from Prince Georges Cnty. MD. , then Frederick , MD. , then possibly he was born in
Tazewell , VA.
I will be building this rifle from Pecatonica parts and their choices of styles.
I know that I will never know for sure which style he carried but would like to come as close as possible.
Any help would be greatly appreciated . I hope this is the proper location for this message .
Thank You , Dennis Dickerson

Offline Chris Treichel

Re: Gun of Morgans Sharpshooters
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 09:43:44 PM »
http://www.friendsoffortlaurens.org/soldierdetail.cfm?id=105

Pvt. Thomas Dickerson

DICKERSON, Pvt. Thomas

State of Ohio, Washington County SS

Personally appeared before me the subscriber one of the associate judges for Washington County in said state, Thomas Dickerson, of the Township of Grandview, County and State afforesaid who deposes and says, that on the 9th day of August in the year of our Lord 1776 he enlisted into the army of the United States in Captain Van Swearingen’s Company in the Eighth Pennsylvania regiment commanded by Col. Aenos Mackey (often spelled McCoy)—the term of his enlistment three years—as a private soldier in the infantry—he served in said regiment untill [sic] some time early in the spring of 1777 he was then drafted into the rifle regiment commanded by Col. Daniel Morgan—still his company was commanded by Captain Van Swearingen, attached also to said rifle regiment in the summer of the same year (?) 1777 he marched with said rifle regiment to ______ Gates army, & continued with said army until after the capture of the British ______under General Burgoyne—he was reattached to the 8th Pennsylvania Regiment at Valley Forge, he afterwards served under General McIntosh’s campaign northwest of the Ohio River and finally after serving out his term of three years was discharged at Pittsburgh by Col. Byard [sic] (Bayard) who gave him an honorable discharge—he has lost his discharge—he is now sixtythree years of age—has never applied for, nor received any pension from the United States—he is in reduced circumstances, & wishes the assistance of his country & prays to be placed on the pension list of the United States agreeable to an act of Congress dated March 18th 1818.

I, John Shark, Judge of the Court of Common Pleas as aforesaid do certify that is appears to my satisfaction that the said Thomas Dickerson did serve in the Revolutionary War as stated in the proceeding declaration against the Common Enemy for the term of nine months on the Continental Establishment; & I now transmit the proceedings & testimony taken & had before me to the Secretary of the War Department pursuant to the directions of the aforementioned act of Congress.

Marietta April 29th 1818 John Shark

Pvt. Thomas Dickerson of the 8th Pennsylvania Regiment and brother of Kinser Dickerson, was born about 1757 at Frederick, Maryland. Thomas died in 1827 in Grandview Twp., Washington County, Ohio. Thomas married Margaret “Peggy” DAVIS who was also born in 1757. Thomas and Peggy had nine known children.

The information on Thomas Dickerson was submitted to the Friends of Fort Laurens Foundation by Beth DeMasis, Weirton, West Virginia, in March 2004. Thomas Dickerson’s Ohio pension application transcribed 18 February 2005 by Fisher, Scott, Batavia, OH; Trustee, Friends of Fort Laurens Foundation.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:44:27 PM by Chris Treichel »

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 09:52:33 PM »
http://books.google.com/books?id=VEIOV3P9rHwC&pg=PA163&lpg=PA163&dq=Frederick+maryland+gun+builder+1776&source=bl&ots=oRrc0yBs6v&sig=WJ9e9tmwZUfYJGR47xWy3xV7h54&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4ZHrTu3-GuTx0gHAt4HwCQ&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=Frederick%20maryland%20gun%20builder%201776&f=false

One Jacob Schley gunbuilder Fredrick Maryland 1765-1812 goes on to state that the Comitte ordered rifles from him for use during the Revolutionary war.

http://lincoln.lib.niu.edu/cgi-bin/amarch/getdoc.pl?/var/lib/philologic/databases/amarch/.20118

Letter from the Council of Safety to Jacob Schley
Page v1:667

MARYLAND COUNCIL OF SAFETY TO JACOB SCHLEY.
[No. 93.] Annapolis, July 30, 1776.

SIR: The publick service requires that you should send to this place, with all the expedition you can, the rifles by you made for the use of the Province; also, the ten large rifles contracted by you to be made and delivered on the first day of August next. We therefore earnestly request you will comply with your engagements; and are yours, &c. To Mr. Jacob Schley.

So now to see if anyone has information about Jacob Schley Rifles....

Rkymtn57

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 10:30:19 PM »
Thank you very much Chris !
I have the first note of information and the second looks very interesting.
I will check it out.   Thank you , Dennis