Author Topic: cutting off a fowler barrel  (Read 8679 times)

Two Crows

cutting off a fowler barrel
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:19:47 AM »
Forgive me if this has been covered. I did look first. I want to shorten a .62 fowler barrel from 42" to "36.   What's the best way to go about it? 

(don't tell me to cut off 6 inches)  :D

Thanks

Offline T*O*F

Re: cutting off a fowler barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 12:37:48 AM »
What's the best way to go about it? 
(don't tell me to cut off 6 inches)

Gonna be kinda tough if you don't cut off 6 inches.

1.  Take any convenient cutting implement and cut off 6 inches. (hacksaw, lathe, cut-off wheel, etc)
2.  Square the muzzle.
3.  Chamfer the muzzle.

If this scares you, you should probably have someone else do it  It coulda been done in the time it took you to sign on and post your request, but I understand your reticence if it's your first time.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 02:01:07 AM »
this makes a good crown.  It is easy to load with .595" ball and .020" patch wet with LV.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Two Crows

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 04:21:34 AM »
Well,

I was thinking of using a pipe cutter to get a square line, but I suppose any kind of consistent scale would give me a set of reference marks. 

I hesitate to just flail away with a hacksaw and was looking for CONSTRUCTIVE HELPFUL suggestions, DAVE :P
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 04:59:26 AM by Ken Guy »

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 04:43:02 AM »
Dave,

A tubing cutter tends to swage the tube down to a smaller diameter during the cutting process.  Consequently, if it were my job to do, I would carefully mark the barrel around its entire circumference where I wanted the cut, slide a bore diameter dowel down the bore to where the cut is to be, clamp the portion to be removed in the vice and cut it off with a fine tooth hack saw.  The dowel inside the bore will tend to minimize burr formation but you will still have a burr at the cut.  After cutting you will have to check the cut for squareness with the axix of the bore and carefully file the muzzle end square.  (If the final muzzle is not square the gun will shoot towards the short side).  Carefully ream the cutting and filing burr out with a deburring tool or a ball file.  As Darryl mentioned, most muzzles are crowned a bit to facilitate loading.  A ball file is the ideal tool to use if you don't own a lathe (I don't).  Usually after crowning a barrel I will take some 600 grit paper and fold it into a cone, shove a ball down inside the cone and use the ball to polish the crown until it is glassy smooth.  This really aids in the loading.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 04:44:48 AM »
A fine toothed hacksaw will give you a good cut.  It really isn't hard at all.  Having never used a pipe cutter I don't know how much effort and time it would take.  But truing up a fowler barrel with a medium cut large file should not be too difficult.  Even eyeballing a long file will give you a fairly trued muzzle.  You can check it with a square.  Even a tapered barrel can be checked with a bevel square.  Just set it for one side and then check all around.  Once it is the same angle all around it is true.  A one inch thick chamfer bit will give you an inside muzzle that will not cut your patches, or fingers!
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 07:33:26 AM »
Gonna be time consuming if you don't want to cut it.  That sort of leaves...filing, lots of filing.  Not that it couldn't be done, mind.  Just taking the long way is all.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 03:50:52 PM »
Use the pipe cutter if you're comfortable with it, but only use it to cut a shallow line around the barrel.
This will give you a perfectly square mark in reference to the bore.
Use a hacksaw to cut the barrel off 10/15 thousands from the mark.
Then take your file and carefully file the muzzle down, shortening the barrel, until the mark is gone.
Crown the muzzle as suggested above.
John
John Robbins

Two Crows

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 06:04:13 PM »
Thanks, fellas.  I was thinking along the lines of JTR's last comment. To use the pipe cutter to get a good square mark. I appreciate the help.

DB

Offline TPH

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 06:12:21 PM »
The pipe cutter should give you a square mark, but is the barrel tapered? If it is will this cause problems with using the pipe cutter? I'm interested in hearing your results, I've often thought of using the pipe cutter to mark a barrel for the cut but have never tried it. Best of luck, DB.
T.P. Hern

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 06:46:25 PM »
 The pipe cutter was a good idea but not practical in that with even a slight taper to the barrel it will force the cutting wheel to run down hill as it were. you will end up with what looks like threads. You are better off making a marking gauge that will allow you to make a fine mark all the way around the barrel and proceed with the fine toothed hack saw.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 07:20:59 PM »
On a tapered bbl, the pipe cutter might try to mark a thread instead of a single line.

I would take a piece of masking tape, and square it up by eye, then wrap it around tha barrel. If the ends meet, you're pretty darn square. If not, peel back and try again.

then bring out the hacksaw.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 07:58:22 PM »
Moost of us want longer barrels.  Maybe send me the extra 6" and I can extend one of mine.   ;D
Andover, Vermont

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 08:36:31 PM »
True, if the barrel is tapered, the pipe cutter thing probably won’t work.
Just use Tom’s idea with the tape.
But hey, to be fair, I think that whoever’s idea he uses should get the extra 6 inches.
I know I could certainly use a little more!  ;D
John
John Robbins

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 08:45:09 PM »
Barrel jokes.

Can only lead to no good.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 08:47:44 PM »
If you cut the muzzle at a slight angle, it just changes the point of impact a little bit. I think if it looks square, it is square, or square enough.

Dave will correct me on my conception of perception of square-ish. It is just a matter of time.

northmn

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 07:02:23 PM »
Like some of you others, I have used a hacksaw and square to cut off barrels with no problem.  What looked square enough was.  This is one of those simple processes taht one can overcomplicate.  Like crowning.  I used to have very good luck with a grinder fit in my Dremmel and then polished a little.  These were rifles, a smoothbore is less fussy.  If it does shoot off a little a file can fix it.

DP

Dave Faletti

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 08:52:10 PM »
Measure down from the muzzle and scribe a reference line.
Cut with the hacksaw down a little from the line.
True up with a fine single cut file.
Even with a minor taper a  square will tell you if its true just check around the muzzle.  If you have a taper it should show the same slight gap.
Use a chamfer tool and polish.
Thin wall barrels are fairly easy to do really. If you are not looking for an exact length you can cut it a little long and give it a go.  Once you have cut it to approximate length you can do several tries at truing and crowning it without shortning it by more than a quarter inch or so.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 11:31:47 PM »
practice on a piece of water pipe if you're nervous.

Acer

Two Crows

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 02:56:23 AM »
All joking aside, the barrel in question is quite hefty and I think it will balance better for me at 36".   ::) Thanks, guys.