Author Topic: Available black powder sales near Oley PA  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Available black powder sales near Oley PA
« on: December 23, 2011, 01:31:00 AM »
I just sold a flint rifle to a lady that is giving it to her father for Christmas. She wanted to let him know where he could buy black powder near Oley PA (10 miles NE of Reading PA). I told her I would let her know. Anyone know of the closest supply to him?
Thanks
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
Re: Available black powder sales near Oley PA
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 01:51:02 AM »
Dennis,
I think Oley is on RTE 23 South of
Reading, but no matter.  The most reliable place to buy is Dixon's ML Shop.  It is maybe forty minutes away, but I have never been there when they didn't have any.  The good thing is that he can get everything else he needs there as well. And he can get sound advice any time he is there.  Great place forany traditional shooter to go.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

roundball

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 01:52:32 AM »
Don't know about locals up there, but there's a Goex distributor ( JJPyrotechnics ) in Moscow, PA...used them for years mail order and once driving through that area I stopped in.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:54:29 AM by roundball »

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 05:45:28 AM »
Dixons is like the holy Temple of the Great Gods of Black Powder.  About three miles north of the krumsville exit off I-78.  If it was ever made for muzzleloaders, Chuck has it.  If 737 is open (it was closed for construction)  just run up from Kutztown. 

excess650

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 06:13:21 AM »
I believe that 737 is still closed.

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 06:35:31 AM »
I think Oley is a bit north east of Reading, and not a bad drive to Dixons.  We made a side trip from there to the Boone homestead in Birdsboro, I remember going through Oley on the way.

A second point if I may --  if the owner is a new comer to flintlocks and black powder, building a relationship with the folks at Dixons would have its advantages.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:06:48 PM by Rick Losey »
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

lakehopper

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 02:12:01 PM »
Dixons Muzzleloader shop is off of RT 78 take the Kutztown Kempton exit, should be a nice ride from Reading heading Northwest to Kempton.

Chuck even will take time to share with him how to load shoot ect. I even think they have a 2 day class in the spring time to teach the new shooters to BP how to handle their firearm.

jimc2

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 03:25:12 PM »
The classes are held in fall

William Worth

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 05:27:56 PM »
FedEx...

D. Bowman

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
Dixons is just a short hop from Oley but I would avoid the place until after Pa's flintlock season is over. (ends on Jan 16th) Dixons is crazy  from now till the end of the season. After the season Chuck or Greg will have more time to help a newbie.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 07:01:41 PM »
Dixons is just a short hop from Oley but I would avoid the place until after Pa's flintlock season is over. (ends on Jan 16th) Dixons is crazy  from now till the end of the season. After the season Chuck or Greg will have more time to help a newbie.
Yes, exactly! ;D

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 07:44:52 PM »
Thanks guys, I had already listed Dixon's which is about 20 miles from Oley PA. It sounds like its the closest and like others have mentioned certainly a good resource for a new black powder shooter. I think his only exposure to black powder is with a cap and ball revolver and I made sure the daughter told him that black powder substitutes are NOT to used in a flintlock.

Thanks for the input,
Merry Christmas!
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson