Author Topic: Robinson cal 54 NO 90 of x  (Read 10566 times)

Etienne Brule

Robinson cal 54 NO 90 of x
« on: November 23, 2008, 04:12:43 AM »
Hi,

I got a RB cal 54 Robinson with a Sharon barrel,  Kit No 90 of x

Browned hexagonal barrel

She shoots greatly.

I will post other photos later... I am on the rebrowning the barrel, re-oiling the stock and fire coloring brass...

Those are the photos when I got her from my seller :

She is supposed to come from Prince George, British Columbia Canada ???

I was told that she was made by an artist called  Sarpegia ???

If you have any infos, that would be great !!!

I will post recent photos when the gun will be all re-browned, acid-stained  and re-oiled...

Etienne Brule.

Offline Karl Kunkel

Re: Robinson cal 54 NO 90 of x
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:17:51 AM »
There are two Sapergia's that are members of this forum, Taylor and Daryl.  I'm sure either of them will post on this thread soon enough.
Kunk

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:10:13 AM »
Between 1979 and 1982 inclusive, I was employed by Robinson Firearms Mfg. Ltd., here in Prince George BC.  Don Robinson saw an opportunity to make some money with the recent love affair with Hawken rifles, so he asked me to come to work and design the rifle.  I built a prototype rifle from the parts that he had accumulated, and to separate it from all the other "Hawken" rifles that were coming out, we called it the Fraser River Hawken.  Using the prototype for a pattern, Don copied the stock on his Solstrome (sp?) twelve spindle carving machine.  The first ten serial numbers were reserved for other prototype guns and some personal ones that employees made for themselves.  Robinson # 5 was my personal rifle and it is now owned by the coach of the Finnish National Shooting Team.  We made a total of 185 rifles if my memory serves me, and these included some scaled down Hawken styled rifled for women and a shorter barreled hunter with one key and a 15/16" bbl instead of the 1" on the big rifle.  We made fullstocked rifles and pistols too.  Over the three years of my time there, we used parts from a number of manufacturers.  Barrels included Douglas, GRRW, Sharon, and GM.  All the locks and triggers were L & R's and I think the hardware came from Pete Allen.
In the summer of '79 Dave "Black Dog" Cunningham, the other 'smith, and I went to the joint NAPR / NMLRA rendezvous in Montana, and took along tow of these rifles.  We shot them well and won many prizes, but the most notable critique came from a guy who claimed to know everything.  He said the rifle was "all wrong".  I think it might have been Peter Alexander.  He may be right.
These rifles have enjoyed a long and popular career, and they surface from time to time.  I didn't make them all, though I had a hand in almost all of them.  We had a number of other assemblers come and go.  In the end, a recession killed the project.  People's money dried up, and we closed the muzzle loading part of the business.  I bought all of Don's inventory, and made a few more rifles over the years.  Hatchet jack's flint Hawken is one of those.

Almost all the Hawkens had steel hardware - only a few have brass.  Most of the stocks were Claro or Bastone walnut, and some had wonderful colour and figure.  If there's anything you need to know about the rifle, just ask.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Etienne Brule

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »
WOW...

What a great forum !  I was looking for the history of that gun for many months. And I got an answer by the maketr of that gun, back almost 30 years ago...

The Robinson I have is a 54 Cal half stock Hawken, Sharron barrel (slow twist) L&R loch, double set triggers.

Ron Keegan, from BC Canada was the original owner; I got this infos from the second owner, Bob Nesbitt, who sold me this wonderful gun last year.

This gun with a Sharon barrel is a GREAT WINNER !

I am also looking for informations on the Sharon barrel.

Here are the only infos that I have about Sharon:

J.Hall Sharon was 79 years old when he died in January of 2002. He made great barrels and here is some information about him.

Sharon was a native of Falmouth, KY. He lived in Sonora, CA for 22 years. He was a machinist and had worked at Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. from 1947-53, and Hughes Aircraft in Culver City from 1953-60.

He owned Sharon Rifle Barrel Co. in Kalispell, Mont., from 1960-70. He was a nationally known gunsmith and barrel maker. He manufactured a black powder rifle marked as Sharon Hawken Kit, which was used at black powder shoots nationwide. His barrels were well-known in the United States and 25 percent went to foreign countries, including one rifle to the King and Queen of England. In 1981, a Pennsylvania-style traditional flintlock with a Sharon Barrel was presented to President Ronald Reagan.

I would appreciate any informations about that gun.

I am quite proud to be in possession of one of those GREAT Black Powder ladies !

Thank you very much for the answer and time that you gave me.

Etienne Brule  (Gerald Bergeron m.d.)

Merci beaucoup !

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 07:05:25 PM »
I shot with Ron Keegan many times during the early '80s, and continue to enjoy Mr. Nesbitt's company at Heffley Creek every summer.  In 1984 Ron and I attended the Canadian National Championships in Galt Ontario.  Using these Robinson rifles, he and I won practically every competition in Formal and Primitive.
At the time, I was a proponent of lots of powder shooting 120 grains of FFg in both .50 and.54 cal rifles.  Ron on the other hand thought I was nuts, and used only 65 grains at the same ranges.  I won both the Formal and Primitive aggregate trophies but Ron was always right behind me for score.  He is a great guy and a wonderful shot.  I haven't seen him since then.  Interesting observation - I now shoot 65 grains of FFg in my .50's, and the guy's and gals who beat me often use less !
My brother Daryl may have some more information on Hall Sharon.  Just between us here on the forum, the Sharon Hawken doesn't hold a candle to the Fraser River Hawken from Prince George.  Now I get my Hawken stuff from Don Stith - top shelf!!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 06:20:17 PM »
D Taylor...
I had a Sharon 54 barrel that only shot well with 120 gr of FFFG.
So maybe there was justification for the charge levels.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 08:29:33 PM »
I've got a .50 caliber Sharon barrel on one of their Trade Rifles and it's been a good one.  Think I got the kit in 1976.  At that time there were a few small companies offering kits to meet the mountain man demand and the Sharon rifle kits and Cherry Corners (I think that's the name) were some of the good ones.
Andover, Vermont

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 08:51:25 PM »
I have an old 54 cal Sharon barrel on a so called transitional rifle that sports an old Robbins Germanic flint lock. It ain't much for looks, but it shoots real well with 65 gr FFG and have won my share of shoots with that  old rifle, now retired.

The best compliment that ugly old rifle has received was, " that's a dandy woods gun".  ;)

This gun is go ugly that no one has even commented on how nice the wood is.   :-[

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 01:10:07 AM »
Barrels are fussy sometimes.  But it seems that most of those .50's and .54's would shoot well with less than 80 grains of FFg.  I wish that I had kept track of which barrels went on which serial numbers in the Robinson guns works...just for interest's sake.  We started off making our breeches out of castings that came from Sharon as well, I believe.  There were no threads on the plugs, and likewise no other machining.  The tangs of the standing breeches was straight...had no curve.  many were warped off to the side too.  I made a jig over which I bent the tangs, so that they were all the same.  I think I still have it.  Those breeches had a verticle break-off.  Later ones, which I believe came from Pete Allen, had a slant breech.
I see the lock plate on your rifle is sunken a little below the wood.  That's better than the converse.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Etienne Brule

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 11:09:29 PM »
BEFORE:

AND after many hours... ( my first browning, first staining, first burning, first everything......  ):

This Robinson is a GREAT shooter !!

Thank you to M Sapergia for your professional skill !

Gerald Bergeron

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 01:21:59 AM by Etienne Brule »

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 04:43:50 AM »
#@!! $#@*!! I'd hardly recognize her!  I'm not sure about the torch work, but the browning looks much better.  That's a pretty fancy sight for a mountain/plains rifle.  I'm happy that the rifle has a good home where it is getting the love and use it deserves.  Thanks for posting these pictures Gerald.
D. Taylor Sapergia