Author Topic: a new member needs help  (Read 2718 times)

sulligen

a new member needs help
« on: December 26, 2011, 07:15:10 PM »
I have received a old long rifle from my aunt's estate and hope someone can give me some info about it.
The markings on the barrel say "Charles Stuart, Binghampton NY". I understand from reading the post by JC Kelly that a Charles Stuart was a gunsmith that took over or bought the gunshop of Joseph Bartlett in Binghampton in the mid-1850s. I can't seem to find any info about him or his work other than what might be in Holman Swinney's book, "New York State Firearms Trade", which I don't own. Does anyone know anything about this gunmaker or the quality of his work? Thanks!

Offline JCKelly

Re: a new member needs help
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 02:56:11 AM »
Swinney's work has about four pages on Stuart. He made nicely finished, mostly plain, typical half-stock mid 19th century rifles.

To my knowledge no one other than Swinney has ever written on New York State rifles. Ned Roberts covers a few, but not Stewart.

I would be curious to know, should you ever remove the barrel, if there is a barrel maker's name, such as Losey, underneath. Your rifle probably has a steel, rather than wrought iron barrel. In NY the more prominant barrel suppliers were Remington, and Lull & Losey.

Me, I'm trying to finish the 2nd Edition of Michigan Gunsmiths, all I know about NY is what J. Holman Swinney wrote. & what a couple of Losey descendants have told me. Michigan was heavily influenced by New York and New England styles, maybe 1/3 of our gun makers came from New York.

sulligen

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »
Thanks for the info JC. I'm not sure about the barrel and I don't know enough about guns to start taking it apart. It is very heavy though. I think it's in very good condition and came with a ramrod and an American Flask and Cap Co. powder flask. The triggering mechanism works too. I assume this is a squirrel or turkey gun as it seems to have a very small bore. It has a brass plate in the shape of a squirrel on the stock.

I would post some pictures, but I'm not sure how to do it on this forum board.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 03:28:21 AM »
sulligen, here is a tutorial on how to post photos.....  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming