Author Topic: Peter Gonter at auction today  (Read 4092 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Peter Gonter at auction today
« on: December 30, 2011, 10:16:19 PM »
   I was hoping to get a nice early Lancaster rifle today at auction, but again I sadly fell
short of the mark.  A signed P Gonter rifle in the black, incise carved and converted to
percussion with a missing patchbox lid went for $3900.  I was scared off by the missing
patchbox lid.  I'd be interested in others thoughts on how to determine how much a rifle
is devalued by this.  Yes, it could be restored, but at what cost, would it be right and
how important is it.  Seems to me the patchbox lid is one of the focal points of a rifle.
    Passed on a rifle earlier this year that had been cut down 6 inches.  It also could have
been restored, but the same questions arise.  I've been kicking myself about that one
because it was local and very well executed with many nice inlays.  Maybe I will regret
the Gonter also. 
   Taking this thought process further, that Stoudenour Jim sold a month or so ago on ALR was
one that I thought I shouldn't have passed on.
   Seems the nonbuyers remorse is worse than the buyers remorse.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Peter Gonter at auction today
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 10:49:34 PM »
It's hard to say without seeing the gun, but it wouldn't take much to be worth $3900.  A missing box lid is nothing in the scheme of things if the gun otherwise has some merit.

Tony Clark

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 02:24:03 AM »

I'd love to see the gun your talking about as $3900 is really on the low end. A sliding patch box lid is truly a very easy thing to replace for a very low cost...

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 03:42:48 PM »
Tony,  Unfortunately, it was a brass patchbox lid.  I can email you are picture if
you PM me your email address.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 04:58:20 PM »
Missing patchbox lids are not that uncommon, and can be replaced fairly easily.  Yes, a replaced lid does diminish the value of a rifle slightly, but that also depends on the artistic value of the rifle and the overall condition of the gun otherwise.  A higher end rifle is affected less by a replaced lid than a plain gun in my opinion.

Frank

Tony Clark

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 05:37:43 PM »
Tony,  Unfortunately, it was a brass patchbox lid.  I can email you are picture if
you PM me your email address.

suzkat post it here. Please... we need something here to discuss and a Gonter gun is interesting to me at least.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 12:00:23 AM »
Sorry Tony...pictures are at my office and I hope to not be there before Tuesday.  I'll post them
then.  They took them off the website.  I think I saved them at work.