Author Topic: rosewood: what type?  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Salkehatchie

rosewood: what type?
« on: December 26, 2011, 02:55:48 AM »
OK.  Have a project that I have been putting off for a long time and want to use rosewood.

Trouble is...I see So. Amer. and Far Eastern rosewood.  So...what would have been correct back in the day?  1700 - 1850 time frame.

Thank you!

Offline Kermit

Re: rosewood: what type?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 04:50:44 AM »
"Rosewood" gets applied to a lot of different trees from around the world. During the time frame you are asking about, it was most likely to have come from Brazil--Dalbergia nigra. Be aware that it is an endangered tree, and you may want too be careful of sources. Sometimes tough to do.

The name gets attached to a lot of species as a marketing ploy. If something is reddish or heavy or smells a little of roses, the marketers will give it a try.

I've been using a fair bit of bubinga (African tree), and have had suppliers call it rosewood. Only way to make that stretch is that both trees are legumes.

If you are truly trying to be HC/PC, search out the real thing. Try a luthier for sources. Hard to know how reliable a source is without asking around.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 03:18:14 AM »
Thank you!  I might try to use something else. 

eagle24

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:08:33 AM »
Luthiers and bow makers will have sources for rosewood.  Most likely would be Indian or Brazilian Rosewood.  Eric Krewson (member here) makes longbows and might be able to tell you where you can get some rosewood.

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 03:58:42 AM »
Hi,
It is my understanding that both Brazilian and Indian rosewood were used in Europe at least since the 15th century.  When the Spanish and Portugese colonized South America, Brazilian rosewood and Brazilwood (different genus but beautiful red wood) became very popular for cabinetry.  Later, when the British colonized India and took control after Plassey, they imported much Indian rosewood and sissoo.  Some English and Scottish gunmakers used Brazilian rosewood and Brazilwood for gunstocks during the 17th century.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline trentOH

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 05:15:04 AM »
You just can't help but to learn something interesting by hanging around this place.
I don't post much, but I certainly learn much.

jrice

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 11:33:36 AM »
What size piece of rosewood do you need? I have rosewood, only in sizes say 1 1/4" thick by 2 1/2" by 8" to 10" long. What I purchase is small pieces (drops) from the music instrument making business. I buy mine from McLendon's Hardwood in Atlanta, GA. Email me and I will give you their contact info. They will ship. It's sold by the pound. Can be quite expensive. This wood ranges from brown to black to solid black. Jerry                                  jerry-pc@comcast.net
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:41:47 AM by jrice »

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »
Good info to have.  I am wanting to make up a knife handle.  Sgian of some sort.  Again, thank you for the info!

Hi,
It is my understanding that both Brazilian and Indian rosewood were used in Europe at least since the 15th century.  When the Spanish and Portugese colonized South America, Brazilian rosewood and Brazilwood (different genus but beautiful red wood) became very popular for cabinetry.  Later, when the British colonized India and took control after Plassey, they imported much Indian rosewood and sissoo.  Some English and Scottish gunmakers used Brazilian rosewood and Brazilwood for gunstocks during the 17th century.

dave 

Offline cmac

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 10:42:54 PM »
www.westpennhardwoods.com     They have a HUGE selection of wood

Offline cmac

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 03:53:16 PM »
Must also mention West Penn is located in Olean NY. They have just about any species; exotic or native. Sizes from whole trees too pen blanks. Their stock is unbelievable, really a must see if you are near. Ware house has whole trees book matched or stacked as cut indoors