General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

powder qty question.......

(1/3) > >>

DarryH:
I am looking at an old, original .54 caliber smoothbore with a
barrel just over 54 inches long.
The seller says it is very accurate with a 60 grain load
of 3f and .018 pillow ticking.
I have zero reason to disbelieve him, but I am curious.
I have shot other .54 guns, mostly Hawken style cap locks.
We always loaded about 90 grains of 3f, or 100 -120 grains of 2f.
This was also in much shorter barrels.

I am looking at shooting deer out to about 35 yards, and then
some informal match shooting.
Since this gun was made in the mid to early 1800's, and since it is old and light weight (just over 7 pounds) what do you think of his load ????

Thanks
Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Nebraska

Dave K:
Well, It is a smoothbore. So I can only assume, since I have not shot round ball out of a smooth bore, that less load then you are used to, may very well be more accurate in a smooth bore. Each to their own experience, I never have used more than 90gr. of powder in a rifle. My guns just never seemed to like that much powder and neither did my shoulder. But, your experience and your guns my very well like that much powder. My biggest guns are 50cal.s and the most powder that they grp. with is 80gr. of 2F Goex or 70gr. of 2F Swiss. I do find that in my experience, there are many shooters that use more powder than is really needed. Again though, your testing and experience may vary.

Daryl:
80gr. of GOEX 2F will produce in the neighbourhood of 1,400fps - give or take a few fps.  This will take deer quite well - however - you need to shoot the gun to see what load it likes the best.  65gr. of 3F should produce about 1,400fps and may or may not be more accurate - again, shooting and developng a load is the only way to find 'the' load.
 I-too prefer more powder for hunting, but the gun will tell you what it needs.  Since the smoothie is a relatively close range weapon, 60 through 780gr. is probably more than enough.  The smothbores usually show poorer accuracy with heavier loads - some show reverse tendencies, though.

northmn:
At 35 yards 60 grains should be plenty.  That would be about like shooting a heavier charge at 75 or so, whcih many do without reservation.

DP

JohnnyM:
My 'go-to' load in the my .54 is 65 gr.  Very accurate and has punched a 50 cent piece size hole out of two deer so far (out to 50 yds.)  Each gun is an individual and one should treat it as such.  Other's mileage may vary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version