Author Topic: Henry Carlile ----Looking for pictures of silver or brass inlays  (Read 3624 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Henry Carlile ----Looking for pictures of silver or brass inlays
« on: November 23, 2008, 08:20:21 PM »
Will soon have the pleasure of restoring a Henry Carlile. Escutcheon inlays missing from the forestock (inlet impressions remain, the issue primarily is engraving) and tang to wrist yolk like inlay. Would appreciate anyone owning a Carlile with forestock or tang inlays posting a picture for all or sending them to me.
Thank you
Hurricane (fgarner@verizon.net)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:10:08 AM by hurricane »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Henry Carlile ----Looking for pictures of silver or brass inlays
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 05:44:52 AM »
Just thinking out loud here, but there are some stong decorative similarities between Bedford rifles and those made in the Cumberland School. You might do well to check some of the Bedford guns that have a yoke type, tang inlay, (thinking of Stoudenour here). They all usually tend to be somewhat complex, but similar.  So, you may find what you are looking for in that school.
If the outlines are indistinct, it must have been missing for a long time. Good luck!
Best-Dick

• Library_mod
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:23:25 AM »
No one has any Henry Carlile pictures???
Just an effort to get back on the first page again.
Hurricane

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 08:06:01 PM »
Not much help for inlays, but this is all I've got.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

• Library_mod
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 10:18:41 PM »
Thanks TOF. That will help me restore the eagle. My Carlile has 8 barrel euscutheons missing, but inlet is well demarkated and a "yoke" like  inlet missing around the tang as is often seen on Ohio Rifles. Particular need is to know if they were brasss or silver and whether engaved.  What is your thought?
Hurricane