Author Topic: Success with .54 cal load!  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Success with .54 cal load!
« on: November 26, 2008, 08:05:51 AM »
Ever since I started hunting with my .54 flintlock I have struggled with lubes and accuracy, never guite got what I thought should come from this rifle.  Finally I found the correct combination for this barrel.  Instead of a .530 ball I tried some .535 balls.  Also tried SPG lube (as used in black powder cartridge loads) by just rubbing it on one side of the patching as someone on here said was his practice (sorry I can find your name again to credit you with this suggestion) and a .018"-.020" thick denim patching cut at the muzzle. 

50 yd group was all in the one inch center of the bull.  100 yds 5 shot group was slightly right (wind direction) and 2 inches low except for shot 5 which I flinched a couple inches further right.  This was all with 80gr FFg Swiss. 

When I cleaned it after about 20 shots at the range it did yield a little more soft gunk from the breach face than I haven't gotten before.  Have to figure out that but it can wait until after I get one shot this weekend. 

I go for bull elk on Arizona's Mogollon Rim Friday.  (You Zane Gray fans know about that).  My son and I scouted all day today and took the little French Brittany with us.  She was so excited about the giant quail she found  (18 -20 or so Merriam's Turkeys in one large flock).  After they flushed and ran she was torn between coming back to get me and the desire to follow the flock I about cracked up watching her.  Would have been great had I been able to shoot one for her and see if she tried to retrieve a bird more than half her own weight. 

Daryl

Re: Success with .54 cal load!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 06:27:32 PM »
Great story, Jerry - brings back a flood of memories of hunting with my runt Liver and White English springer - 30lbs. of hunting fury. I neeed another Spaniel.  I've always liked Brittanies and had decided to get one 'next time'.  Pettiest Spaniel I ever saw was a Black and White Brittany/Springer cross.  She'd point, then flush on command, then fetch on land and a terrific water dog as well.  My Springer had difficulty fething heavy birds as she wouldn't grip them hard enough to pick up so she'd drag them back - geese were particularly difficult for her.  I can jsut imagine your Brit trying to fetch a turkey! HA!

Glad you got the .54 sorted out.  I've always liked a ball to be .005" under bore size with a .020" to .022" denim patch.  That combo just seems to shoot well in every gun I try it in.  It's my go-to ball /patch combination for every gun or barrel I whoots

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 03:13:11 AM »
Mr. Lape:

Oh yeah, we have read all those Zane Gray's at least twice.  Thanks for reminding me, time to start back into them again.  Should take till spring, interspersed with RB type fun.  Have a great trip too BTW!

Thanks.

C. Cash

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:22:11 AM »
Beautiful country!  I have good memories of camping on the Mogollon Rim as a youngster. 

Congrats on finding a good load and good luck on your hunt!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 07:23:03 AM by C. Cash »