Author Topic: what are you working on?  (Read 30790 times)

eagle24

Re: what are you working on?
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 06:14:55 PM »
.45 caliber Tennessee.  40-1/2" Rice straight barrel, Bob Roller Lock, maple stock.  I forged/am forging everything else.  Butt plate and trigger guard are done.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 06:30:47 PM »
it will be signed 'Krupp'.

... altho I think there actually was a Krupp armorer who fed the Nazi war machine.    maybe a Runtz ? 

I'm plodding along on a tennessee mountain with a .50 44" Rice B, using some renditions from contemporary builders as inspiration.
Just finished the entry thimble, which (hopefully) means I'm over the hump.
pouring a pewter nosecap this weekend.
Lookin forward to picking up parts at the Artisan Show in Lewisburg PA in early Feb for the next build.
/mm
Runtz!!  That'l make 'em scratch their heads a century of so down the pike!!   ::)

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 06:33:56 PM »
.50 cal (since I already had the barrel) cussin, 38 in. 15/16th straight.  Left her lay last spring then suffered from builder's block this fall.  Finally got at her and she's in final stock shaping now.  The builder's block is tough to get over.....neighbor lady and all ::)

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 07:09:57 PM »
Just getting going on a C. Humble (Kentucky) inspired rifle - .54 cal 44" 'D' weight Rice barrel, nicely curled stock.  Got the barrel inlet completed, and got the ramrod holed drilled last night - well centered vertically, a little to the right laterally.  I'm hoping I don't have mainspring interference.  Also need to finish up a pre-rev. war era 'musket-stocked' rifle.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 07:16:56 PM »
I'm just about done with the carving on my French pistol so I guess it is time to learn how to engrave.  I also have a Lancaster rifle in the works for one of my shooting buddies.

JMC

Rootsy

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »
Mid way through a Sharon Plains rifle kit that has been giving me some fits.  This has to be the hardest, most brittle piece of walnut I've ever worked with.  There is some irregular grain around the tang / breech and it just does not cooperate with anything but a file.  That and the trigger plate pre-inlet is way out of position.  I really hate pre-inlet components...

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 08:23:20 PM »
.50 cal (since I already had the barrel) cussin, 38 in. 15/16th straight.  Left her lay last spring then suffered from builder's block this fall.  Finally got at her and she's in final stock shaping now.  The builder's block is tough to get over.....neighbor lady and all ::)

Braggin or complainin Roger??   :o :o  ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Mike C

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 09:22:54 PM »
Gathering parts for a late flint, halfstock, iron mounted English rifle. Have a late Ketland lock from Chambers and a decent piece of English walnut. Will use a Rice English barrel probably .58 cal.
Mike C
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."  A. Lincoln

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 09:48:13 PM »
 Restoring an old Belgian sxs percussion fowler for a guy who is giving it to his dad on his 81st birthday. The gun has no Belgian markings but was made with a grotesque fish carving as a pistol grip rail. I've seen enouph of these to attribute it's placement. Some previous owner sanded away all of the stock finish, so it is getting a dose of my special patina coating. 
Joel Hall

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »
I'm trying to find underlugs.
 Coryjoe

Offline blackdog

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 11:09:09 PM »
Working on a curly cherry Christian springs full choke turkey getter
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline b bogart

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
Still trying to finish up my Bucks 40 caliber. I may not be good but I sure am slow. Just used one of Mr Snyders touchhole counterbore. Worked very well!

Cory Joe you can make those quicker than you can order them.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 11:32:16 PM »
 Coryjoe
Cory Joe,
Make them, you can do that long before you can order them and they are pretty much free if you make them from scrap.
There is tutorial on them I believe.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

MarkEngraver

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »
puttin' together an East Tennessee squirrel'y rifle.
.36 cal. GM barrel,  3/4" x42", L&R Manton/Bailes  lock, on a Cherry stock  
making the furniture myself

Also currently engraving a Cape Buffalo With English scroll on a Winchester M70 .458 Win Mag that loads from the rear ....... like a Ferguson rifle !!! ?
Does that count ?

Mark

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 11:46:14 PM »
I am literally trying to find them in my shop, they are here somewhere.  I bet if I ordered some these would just appear. 

Coryjoe

Coryjoe
Cory Joe,
Make them, you can do that long before you can order them and they are pretty much free if you make them from scrap.
There is tutorial on them I believe.
Dennis

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 01:15:00 AM »
Got a .40 Bedford mostly roughed out with the barrel inlet that's on the bench, a silver mounted pistol that's been waiting patiently, two Maryland guns profiled with barrels inlet next in line.  Assorted horn and knife stuff laying around the shop, too.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 01:33:17 AM »
A .32 Tennessee Tree Rat gun, and a bottle of Rare Eagle.  Both are coming along.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline James

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 03:34:45 AM »
I have a Fichthorn .50 cal in the finishing stage, 2 .54 cal Berks pistols my boys are working on, 2 powder horns near completion, a doublehorn in work and doing the drawings for RCA #53 that I have the parts and stock for and is my next build.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline kutter

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 05:02:20 AM »
A bunch,,I'm good at buyin' odd parts and stuff and then trying to find the time.

I do have a Tenn style in the works though.
3/4" oct Rayl 40cal. great piece of curly maple. I was going to put a Dale Johnson lock on it but just came accross a Bob Roller small percussion (1983) along with a DST w/his stamp on it. Neither has ever fitted so maybe I'll make a percussion for once. ,,and maybe the DJ lock isn't the best choice in style anyway.

Also a Queen Ann Musket from a TRS kit. Something a little different from the usual Bess and some Dutch influence in the styling I think. So maybe that'll fit me better.
I'll most likely be back here with questions when it comes to spring hardening/temper time. Their directions are confusing from what I'm used to, but so are their choice of steel.,,realizing they are cast though.

A 1/2 stock flint rifle. Again 40 cal. 13/16oct. Trying out one of Tipp Curtis's locks. Got the pre-carve, GM bbl, lock and B/P for a very nice price at Dixons last summer.
The rest I have or will make.

I'd like to build an underhammer in the Kendall or Hilliard style. But that'll wait for a while.
I still have a 15/16 damascus rifle bbl blank from Ken Bresien's shop in 50cal to use yet. He tabled it after it developed a bad spot in the rifling during the process.
Needs to be rebore/rerifled or relined.
I have his L/R(?) trigger guard pattern piece and one of the castings from it. I guess he didn't care for the quality of what was available at the time and was setting up for his own casting.
I'll probably just keep those ,,just because.

Then there's the work on those 'other' guns to be done...just finished up a restoration of one of Ithaca's NID in grade 5.

Interesting to see what others are working on and have plans to do in the future.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:17:35 AM by kutter »

Offline Herb

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 06:14:45 AM »
1.  A .50 caplock Sam Hawken with 7/8 x 31" .50 Rice barrel.  Hawken 15/16" Squirrel rifle breech plug fitted and filed down to 7/8".  J&S Hawken pistol lock.  Have the stock sawed out, barrel and tang inlet, starting on the lock inlet.  Will look just like a real Hawken but smaller and lighter in the barrel for a woman.
2. A .54 caplock Sam Hawken with 1 x 32" Green Mountain barrel, nearly ready to finish.  All done but working on the triggers now.
3. A .54 caplock Sam Hawken with 1 x 32" Green River barrel.  Barrel is a take-off, with the rib unsoldered and the front sight too close to the muzzle.  I'll cut it to 32" and solder the rib on.  Lock is in, barrel and tang inlet, butt plate and toeplate in, needs the trigger fitted, and lock and tang bolts fitted.
4. A .54 caplock Sam Hawken with 1 1/8" x 31" Green River barrel, steel parts assembled, sights in.  Stock is sawed out, barrel channel routed and rod hole drilled.  All parts on hand.
5. A .58 1 1/8" tapered to 1" 36" Green River barrel, not drilled for breech plug.  Want to make this a fullstock flint Hawken, but not with a patent breech.  No plug yet.  Anyone know where I can get a 1 1/8" flint hooked tang?
6.  I have 4 or 5 more barrels with no plans for them yet. I'm glad it is winter so I can work on this stuff.
Herb

Offline Dave B

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2011, 06:49:05 AM »
I am great at starting projects but slow on finishing.
I have a English sporting rifle/shot gun in .62, English walnut, shootable when the touch hole is drilled. final finsih for wood and metal.

Jaeger rifle .54 Getz, Poszer Hardware, English walnut, lots of carving & ingraving yet to be done, yet to install sliding but trap lid

Maryiland style .50 cal 42" B wt all in the white now

Georgian style holster pistol .58 cal bronze barrel, rifle shop Moses Brent  hardware

all are in the final stages for stain and varnish some carving yet to be done on some.
I will finish them in the order listed some day.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »
Im working on a chambers Haines 40 cal kit with rice barrel an single trigger. And Im working on a 54 flintlock pistol. 6 inch barrel. And Im waiting on a 62 cal barrel from charles burton that Im gonna have built into a early virginia rifle. ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2011, 05:20:13 PM »
working towards getting back to my Jenks carbine build. I have also started getting "Pieces" to machine my Billinghurst cylinder rifle. ;)

that, plus building another bench for the shop and cleaning/reorganizing the
mess down stairs :D

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2011, 05:41:24 PM »
Jenks Carbine,  neat I just saw one of the navy models in the Navy Museum on the Washington Navy Yard.  Mule ear... made me stop and look since it was in the same case with one of those early breachloader contraptions.  The museum was also playing Master and Commander inside the Constitution Deck display... sat down next to a cannon and watched the fight scene.  Pretty cool.

I am currently working on an English dragoon carbine~ 1770s.  I have been looking at as many pictures of origionals as I can find from the 1740-1770 period and about the only thing I have found that they have in common is that their all a bit different. So I will take some liberties as well. 
After that I just need to get a stock for a late golden age Lancaster... a stock and barrel for a Jaeger (got a Davis jaeger lock for Christmas)... and on my dream list accumulate parts for a German 17th century wheelock rifle and a doglock pistol. Also picked up a Davis Twigg lock and have been mulling over possibilities.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2011, 05:42:50 PM »
   Well,  since money has been tight lately,I've kinda been in a holding pattern.  I have tried my hand at a few accoutrements mainly knives.  Look for them soon.  Been wantin an early Virginia, .58cal   48" barrel   still haven't ordered it. The money thing.  I did get someone to buy one of my horns though. Money for the build

Rich