Author Topic: Two 1967 Colonial Williamsburg rifles  (Read 10098 times)

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Two 1967 Colonial Williamsburg rifles
« on: November 24, 2008, 04:53:47 AM »
Have been updating my web site this weekend and have posted a page with snapshots of two Gusler made rifles from 1967. There are also a couple of pictures of the maker at work. http://www.flintriflesmith.com/GunshopEraGuns/Wallace_Gusler_1967.htm

There are also a couple of pictures of a rifle built by Tom Strohfeldt about 1971-2. http://www.flintriflesmith.com/GunshopEraGuns/work_by_others.htm

For other new stuff follow the What's New? link from the home page.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Two 1967 Colonial Williamsburg rifles
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 07:03:44 AM »
Gary, thanks for posting these links.  I thoroughly enjoyed viewing all this fine work...inspirational!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 05:43:43 PM »
I really like that fine rifle by Mr. Strohfeldt - it is always nice to see the work of folks that share their knowledge with everyone on here from time to time.  Just a beautiful, unique looking piece.

Guy

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:40:19 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 03:33:32 AM »
Thanks Gary.  Sure do appreciate making this stuff available on your site.  Marvelous rifles and to think they were made over 40 years ago!  Spent time last night re-reading the hunting stories and looking at the new pictures.  Entertaining stuff!  Just noticed you included pictures of the Jaeger lock.  What a piece of work. 

Thanks again,
Jim

don getz

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 04:35:46 PM »
It's difficult to believe that Wallace was ever that young.....he looks like a mere child.   Nice to see those Dave Wagner
guns, too bad he went thru all of those health problems that kind of got him out of the gun building business.  He made
a great gun for my brother Dick who sold it when he was going thru his bad times.  The gun is now owned by a fellow in
Lewisburg, but, he won't part with it.  We had several of Dave's guns on display at the Lewisburg show last year.  He was not only a good gun builder, but a good engraver...did a lot of work for Kit Ravenshear.  Nice guy and we still miss
his visits to the shop..............Don

lew wetzel

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 05:17:40 PM »
gary,i think your site is one of the greatest out there...thank you for sharing and continually updated us on your site..

Offline lexington1

Speaking of Tom Strohfeldt rifles...........
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 02:27:57 AM »
Here is a rifle I picked up years back from Track of the Wolf that was built by Mr. Strohfeldt. When I bought it, it TOW related to me that it was built at Williamsburg in 1976. Do you or Tom (if your checking in) have any information regarding this gun? It has a 45" .60 caliber Paris barrel. I really love this rifle!

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s316/theresasink/TS%20Rifle/

Thanks!

Offline sonny

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 05:40:09 PM »
what was the cost of the williamsburg hand made rifles????....sonny

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 06:25:53 AM »
what was the cost of the williamsburg hand made rifles????....sonny

The Colonial Williamsburg Gun Shop has been making custom longrifles for about 45 years so there is no simple answer to your question. For the first six or seven years we did not even offer an all hand made rifle because we were still learning the art of hand forging barrels.

I believe the first actual all handmade rifle sold out of the shop was in about 1968-9 and it went for somewhere in the $2k range. By the early 1970s we realized that was way too cheap for the hours involved and the price essentially doubled.

Please remember that for every all hand made rifle, the shop probably made ten with commercial locks and barrels. Only for a few years in the 1980s, when our waiting list had gotten out of hand, did we limit production for sale to only all hand made rifles.

By the end of the 80s an all hand made rifle was selling for about $10K.

P.S. I use the term "all hand made" to mean a rifle with the lock and barrel hand forged and finished without the use of any power source other than human muscle power. Even the threads on the wood screws were hand filed. Extreme? Maybe but that was the point!

Many makers today have their own definition of the term.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 07:07:50 PM »
Thank you Gary! I really like the photos of the early days of you guys breaking new (old) ground. Do you have some with both of you in the shots at CW. Also are there any special events or anything that might be particularly  interesting to us at CW or the vicinity next year?
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: Speaking of Tom Strohfeldt rifles...........
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 08:51:20 PM »
Here is a rifle I picked up years back from Track of the Wolf that was built by Mr. Strohfeldt. When I bought it, it TOW related to me that it was built at Williamsburg in 1976. Do you or Tom (if your checking in) have any information regarding this gun? It has a 45" .60 caliber Paris barrel. I really love this rifle!

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s316/theresasink/TS%20Rifle/

Thanks!

I sent the link to your rifle to Tom and here's what he had to say in reply:

"That's a walnut stocked .60 caliber I made for myself at The Ohio Historical Society & then sold to Joe XXXXXXX- Associate Curator at the same place. I think it was in '75."

I blanked out Joe's last name in respect for the privacy of rifle ownership.
Gary

Offline lexington1

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 09:54:10 PM »
Thanks for the info. I think I've had this rifle for about 9 or 10 years now and always wished I had a little more info on it.  :)