Author Topic: Our Germanic Heritage  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Our Germanic Heritage
« on: January 05, 2012, 06:43:26 PM »
   How about the carving on this beauty?

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Our Germanic Heritage
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:23:50 PM »
That is a very nice rifle.  Thanks for the pictures.

Jim

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:47:30 PM »
Very nice piece.  I love how smooth it looks.  Tierkopfranke in German... Animal Head Scroll and take a look at the ones form Vienna arround the mid 1600s.  I have a book with descriptions/ pictures of 25 of these works of art by the Viennese stock carver known as the Meister der Tierkofranke and they are insanely decorated.  They are a bit hard to find online... and the pictures in my book are all black and white.  Here is a rifle by him http://www.antiquesandfineart.com/articles/media/images/00901-01000/00957/fig3_lg.jpg
Another one from Saxony in the Wallace collection
http://wallacelive.wallacecollection.org:8080/eMuseumPlus?service=ExternalInterface&module=artist&objectId=5175&viewType=detailView
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:58:14 PM by Chris Treichel »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:59:26 PM »
Wonderful rifle! Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Ditto Chris, for your contribution. It appears that there is no box on the gun, so am wondering what the carving looks like at the wrist on the right side. The stock maker was a true master. Some full length photos and a few numbers would help, too.
Thanks again.
Dick

Tony Clark

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 11:02:48 PM »
That really is an exceptional piece... the inlay and carving, the mounts are superb. I like the grotesque mask in the tang carving never seen anything quite like that. Kind of wonder why the lock is completely unadorned. Thanks for sharing this. The rear site looks really tall I wonder why.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:05:55 PM by Tony Clark »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 12:03:29 AM »
Swamped 40 inch Barrel- Rifled--- signed- V Schevring.  That's all the pics I have.  I'll
see what we can do about the opposite side.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »
That really is an exceptional piece... the inlay and carving, the mounts are superb. I like the grotesque mask in the tang carving never seen anything quite like that. Kind of wonder why the lock is completely unadorned. Thanks for sharing this. The rear site looks really tall I wonder why.

Tony,

Several examples of grotesque masks in decoration surrounding barrel tangs are shown in the Thuraine et Le Hollandois prints published in Paris in the 1650's.  This is the earliest I've seen these sort of decorative elements.  The Thuraine et Le Hollandois prints have bee re-printed and are included in "Master French Gunsmiths" by Grancasy.  Specifically plate 5 shows a similiarity to the carving on this rifle.  It must be noted that this decoration shown in these prints, was most likely not carved, but was engraved sheet metal inlays surrounding the tang.  This is a great example of the wide spread and long lasting French influence throughout Europe.  In this case, a style was used that was out of fashion by Paris standards by likely 70 years.  l  As a side note, the French lock I showed a while back was made by Thuraine as well, though probably around twenty years after these design prints were published.

Jim
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:00:50 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 01:13:26 AM »
Suzkat,
Thats the best thing I've seen here in a long time. Beautiful!
Buck