Author Topic: searching for a flintlock pistol sketch  (Read 10934 times)

cal.43

searching for a flintlock pistol sketch
« on: November 24, 2008, 05:26:33 PM »
Hello,
I´m searching for idea`s for a simple flintlock pistol, at the moment I got a 8" octagon barrel, trigger ,flintlock, old walnut pistol blankstock and sheet brass. I got "Recreating the American Longrifle" , " The Modern Kentucky Rifle - How to Build Your Own " and two others I forget the title. My intention is to build a simple not fancy flintlock pistol with the parts I already have.

cal.43

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: searching for a flintlock pistol sketch
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 06:31:07 PM »
Order the book "London Gunmakers and the English Dueling Pistol 1770-1830" by Keith Dill from TOW. It pictures some pretty plain pistols that still have a lot of class.
Its only 11.95.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

cal.43

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:25:12 AM »
thanks Dphariss for the info, I will think about buying that book.

I´m searching in that direction
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:39:22 AM by cal.43 »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 01:57:11 AM »
My intention is to build a simple not fancy flintlock pistol with the parts I already have.

Then why are you asking for sketches?  Your parts are going to dictate what the gun looks like.

1.  Take a piece of paper and trace around the barrel.
2.  Locate the lock on the barrel and trace around it.
3.  Locate where the sear is on the lock.  Then locate your trigger.
4.  Place the guard in reference to the trigger and trace it out.
5.  Now fill in the blanks and draw a gun around your parts.
6.  Use your drawing as a template to cut the shape from the blank.
7.  Build the gun the way you drew it.

Forestocks are pretty straightforward.  Your trigger guard gives you the curve for the butt.  If you can't make your parts fit in a drawing, you can't build a gun from them.  You can't always just take a bunch of parts and make a gun.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Bentflint

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 05:30:02 PM »
Like TOF said. That's how I do it. The layout picture has iron but the finished pistol used the same casting in brass.

Bruce Everhart
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 05:32:10 PM by Bentflint »

Offline LynnC

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 07:20:21 PM »
Thought on the American Flintlock Pistol is $ 15.00 on TOW website.  Lots of photos of "Kentucky" pistols and a little text.  Guns plain to fancy.  A good book to give you some ideas..........................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 10:58:11 PM »
There is still a lot of latitude in the design even with the parts he has.

Trigger gaurds can be bent to a different curve. He can choose different styles of butt caps, or none at all. Same for the side plate and muzzle cap. He can shorten the barrel. Sights or no sights.

.43, are you asking for a sketch to follow exactly, or just looking for ideas to base your design on?

Dale H

cal.43

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 12:21:24 AM »
I have no skills in making sketches.
Ordering books in the U.S. is not so easy as ordering things in the EU and before  buying a book I allways want to take a look at the book.

orginal by  William Buchele adapted by cal.43

There are no parts that dictate anything ,ok the barrel length but the rest have to be made or adjusted to my needs.
For me the difference between a photo and a sketch is that  a sketch show much better details than a photo. I searched the net for pictures etc. but the most things show the fancy expensive pistols that survived the time or fancy contemporary work not what I searched for.
My hope was that on someones harddrive rested a sketch from a pistol and for me it makes click thats the shape and contour I searched for.
cal.43

J.D.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 02:06:10 AM »
I have no skills in making sketches.

There are no parts that dictate anything ,ok the barrel length but the rest have to be made or adjusted to my needs.

Yes, the parts do determine the architecture. The barrel, and more specifically, breechplug determines the location of the lock. The lock, and more specifically, the sear bar determines the location of the trigger. The location of the trigger determines the LOP on a rifle, or the length and diameter of the wrist and handgrip (reach) on a pistol. In addition, the style of the components will determine the final look of the finished gun.

And while the rear finial of the triggerguard can be bent, it still determines the diameter and reach or LOP, if you will, of the pistol.

IMHO, your components need to be finished prior to layout and assembly of your components, otherwise, the result of your hard work will look and feel like a frankenpistol of mismathced parts. IMHO, James Turpin's "Building Muzzleloading Pistols" describes what is necessary to build a quality ML pistol.

Good luck and God Bless,
J.D.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 02:57:25 AM by J.D. »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 02:25:13 AM »
There are no parts that dictate anything

You provided a parts list of what you have to work with, but we haven't a clue what they look like.

Why don't you take detailed pictures of what YOU HAVE, along with a description and statistics (length, width, heigth, manufacturer, etc).

Then perhaps some industrious soul might do a sketch for you, or provide pictures that are close to your parts.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 06:27:17 AM »
One way to help with layout is to use the Trackofthewolf (TOW) cattaloge to make coppies of the parts you have and cut them out and assemble your pistol on paper very much like what was described by TOF. Once you have the parts in place you can copy off ten pages of your parts layed out in their proper position and trace in the butt stock patterns you like on each one to see which one strikes your fancy. I bought a simple projector at Micheals for my daughter to project photos from a picture in a book on to the wall which has paper for the tracing of the subject taped up. I get the size I need by moving the projector back and forth till it is the correct size then trace it out. It is a great tool and not that expensive. If you can't draw it is a life saver. I think we paid like $12-15 bucks for it.
I love the drawing of Buckele's pistol it has been one of my favorites. 
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 06:45:04 AM »
Bentflint - I like the pistol.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Leatherbelly

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 06:52:48 AM »
 Bruce,
  That is a pretty pistol! Did you build it? Sorry,.43.

Bentflint

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 09:41:29 AM »
Thank you Brian and Leatherbelly, and yep it's one of my builds.

43 there are 100s of pictures on the web, do a search for "flintlock pistol image". You can also find good pictures on auction web sites. I have a folder  in my photo program that I store them in. Every time I see one I like I just click it and save it to that folder.

When I'm ready to plan a new pistol I dig in to the photos I have saved and pick the ones I like. Import them to my CAD and resize them to match up with the lock I want to use to see if all will fit together. I can erase the parts I don't like and sketch in to fit or suit my liking. You can also print them and lay another piece of paper over them to trace. You can pencil in the barrel, ramrod hole and trigger to see all the parts work together.

Bruce Everhart

cal.43

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 01:12:49 AM »
thanks for the answer

here the stock and the barrel

triggerguard,  timbles will be made from brass  and the lockplatte will be changed for my requirement
and thats might be the one that will be used as pattern