Author Topic: Peter Reinhard  (Read 6923 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Peter Reinhard
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:59:48 AM »
To those who haven't read the publication on Peter Reinhard written by his
son F A Reinhard in 1945 and in the publications section of aolrc.org, it makes
for fantastic reading.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: Peter Reinhard
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 03:00:17 AM »
I have probably held at least a dozen of his rifles in my hands over the years.  Some were fine target rifles, others were plain hunting rifles. Nearly all had the Masonic compass & square stamped with his name on the barrel, and most were dated.  My wife deer hunts with a replica of a P A Reinhard rifle made by Rod England, back in the 1980's.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:16:26 AM »
Very neat story to read, especially narrated by his son who had worked with him.  To bad there wasn't any pics.  Thanks for the heads up on this.
Bob

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:37:55 AM »
Rob,
The folks in our organization have quite a number of Reinhard rifles as well as tools and shooting equipment. At one time the rifle "Big Susie" was owned by a member, and friend, along with most of the loading equipment and molds that where made for her. It was a pretty impressive outfit.  The fellow passed away and the rifle was sold at auction.  At our annual show in April there will be a number of his rifles on display.
Mark
Mark

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
The rifling machine that Reinhard used is in use to this day........it is demeonstrated at a few get togethers in Ohio.

I'd love to know what happened to some of the other tooling. Probably in the hands of collectors that squirrel then away never to be seen or used again.

I've had the chance to pick up a rifle or two, but never seem to have the funds at the right time.....

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 07:01:15 PM »
When did this fella work?  I've not heard of him.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
Rich,
P.A.Reinhart, 1827-1899, worked in both Loudenville, Ashland County and Loudenville, Montgomery County. From 1850-1853 he worked with William Billinghurst in Rochester, NY. He was a prolific builder of fine target rifles, as well as every day rifles, and won many shooting contests using his own rifles. You can find extensive history on Reinhard in Volumes 1 and 3 of our books "Ohio Gunsmiths & Allied Tradesmen" at our site,  "aolrc.org". The books are also still available.
Mark
Mark

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »
I wonder if the Ned Roberts book doesnt have alot of info on P.A. also. An old girl friend of mine has a rifle of P.A.s but I cant get her to sell it to me. Something about a misunderstanding I think.    Happy New Year.   Smylee

Mark B

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 12:35:10 AM »
Very pleased to see the interest in this prolific maker. I have followed his work with some persistence, and find myself to be continually surprised in Reinhard's variation, and evolution.The earliest rifles he made  in the Columbus, Ohio area, sometimes are full stocked, and follow the Pennsylvania /Ohio Germanic  traditions. He was a young  gunsmith, and the early rifles lack the refinement found after his years with Billinghurst.The earliest picket  target rifle I have seen is dated 1860, has a false muzzle, and very fine engraving at the breech area. He was home from the Billinghurst shop. He now produced a wide selection to meet customer's wishes, from squirrel to precision target competition rifles.During the l1870s and 1880s  he made many slug rifles, shooting long  2 part bullets, hard noses, soft bases. These were some of the most accurate rifles during his time,and won many matches.  During the 1950s through the 1970s a shooter named Harold["Skunk, or Pole Cat"]Porter shot perfect national scores with an old Reinhard rifle named"Old Harrison" . This rifle retains the origional bore ,and most tools,and remans competitive today.The rifle pictured on line, sold at the Brunk auction, is a heavy picket rifle. And the late date leaves us questioning the late continuation of the picket form. It shoots quite nicely at 100 yards. The round ball"farm guns" made by Reinhard pictured in the AOLRC article] turn up fairly often, in various states of condition, and are always a fond sight in these hills.To  the writer who knows of "Big Susie"; Please post more info, as many of us have speculated,  without conclusion, regarding the whereabouts of this one.  4 original Reinhard rifles were shot on the range at Canal Fulton in Septenmber 2011, in competition. Also, The AOLRC display in Marietta, Ohio will include  the work of Reinhard. See our website AOLRC  for more info.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 10:34:55 PM »
Mark B.
Big Susie was owned by a friend of mine, here in Columbus ubtil he passed away about 5-6 years ago. The rifle was complete, after Rich Hicks rebuilt the false muzzle attachment some years before his passing, and included a bullet mold and swage blaock for the 2 piece picket bullets. We never shot the rifle and it was sold at the Old Barn Auction. Unfortunatley I do not know who bought the rifle. At the show in April at Marietta there will be several members who will have a number of Reinharts on display and last year there was a nice display of Polecat Porter's targets and other items.
Mark
Mark

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 04:26:00 AM »
I live just outside Loudonville, and there are some of his guns in the local museum.
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"