Author Topic: Just Finished My Lyman Plains Pistol Kit  (Read 3839 times)

Mattole

Just Finished My Lyman Plains Pistol Kit
« on: January 02, 2012, 03:16:37 AM »
She's pretty well finished and I am grateful she turned out well. The stock from the kit showed some interesting tiger striping potential but was very asymmetrical in its architecture and the lock panels were not at all mirror images of each other, so it took a good deal of wood shaping to get things more or less where they should be. Goody - more practice in preparation for the 'serious builds' in the future!

I used Varathane American Walnut stain and Lin-Speed for the wood finish. It was my first time using Lin-Speed and I loved it. It took a bit longer to do than other kinds of finishes I have used but it is a true rubbed-oil finish and I like the look. For the metal finish I used Birchwood Casey Superblue and then removed most of it with 0000 steel wool.

I may checker the grip at some time in the future but am not ready to invest a lot of money in checkering tools right now - that money needs to be spent visiting my ailing paw back East.

Now it's time to send some lead downrange!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 03:17:41 AM by Mattole »

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: Just Finished My Lyman Plains Pistol Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 04:07:25 AM »
It looks like a nice clean job.  You should do well on a rifle in the future.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Dogshirt

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 04:22:49 AM »
Looks real nice! Waiting for a range report.

mori shultz

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 04:30:52 AM »
Looks good! What caliber is it? Mori

Offline Glenn

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:32:37 AM »
You did a great job.  Both the metal and wood finishes turned out nice.  The piece really looks good.  ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Mattole

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 05:27:04 AM »
Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen. It was a very enjoyable little project to do.

Mori, the pistol caliber is .54.

Tony Clark

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 02:11:16 AM »

That does look real nice. It's obvious you put a lot of work into getting it like that, a lot of good work.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 02:39:01 AM »
Looks good ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning