Author Topic: carving tools  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
carving tools
« on: January 03, 2012, 09:13:33 PM »
I just today received these carving tools I purchased: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-62pcs-ASSORTED-LOT-WOOD-CARVING-TOOLS-Wood-Chisel-/170757414331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c1ef5dbb

Think I had $150 in the set (62 pcs) including shipping.  Yes, these are made in China.  They don't have handles.  They are quite rough and require finish shaping and sharpening, but they are very affordable.  If you are willing to put a little work into them I believe they will work well for gunbuilding.  I read favorable reviews from knowledgeable woodworkers and decided to give them a try.  I just sharpened one up and it seems to be a very quality tool.  They seem to be a very useful form, and seem to be made of good steel.  The socket variety are made of laminated steel, while the others are one piece of high carbon steel.  Just another option to consider.

Jim

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: carving tools
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:07:04 PM »
I think if someone is wanting a large assortment of chisels and not spend a fortune this would fill the bill . Jim you will have to keep us informed on how they hold an edge and do they perform as intended for stock work. I don't think I need any more chisels but you never know  ;D ;D!!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:38:38 PM »
I bought some similar socket tools from China, and I didn't know what I was going to get.

I have to say, they are nice and thin, and hold a good edge. They are somewhat brittle, so do not use them as pry bars or screwdrivers.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 10:51:05 PM »
The reviews I've read indicated they were a little harder than most European carving tools.  As long as the edge isn't too britle, this would suite me fine.  I have sometimes wished the Pfeil Swiss Made tools were a little harder. 

It will take some time for me to get them cleaned up and handles fit, but I'll let you guys know how they seem to work.  The little bit of work I've done with the tool I've sharpened seems to indicate they will perform well.  As I said before, they aren't pretty and are rough, but they have a good shape and seem to be made of good material.  We'll see.

Jim