Author Topic: tapping breach  (Read 12233 times)

Offline Captchee

Re: tapping breach
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 04:31:14 PM »
 Yep Dan I would say most know all that . Notice I said most .
As to the other thread . If it’s the one im thinking of . I myself did not post  for the simple reason IMO the person  doesn’t want to listen and is $#*! bent on blowing themselves up .
 So not worth my time .

Myself I think what you posted is good information  in that it’s a very good way to breech a barrel . Most certainly not the only way . But it’s a good way .

As to  hardware store taps . And the bolt test  thing .
 Remember that these are mass produced  and the tolerances  are not there to begin with . If it was , the bolt would not be lose in the nut

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 04:44:50 PM »
Guys,

Please read all of my posts pertaining to this subject.  As I said before, it is ideal if the plug bears on a shoulder.  If it doesn't it will still perform the needed function fine if there is a good thread fit.  Many thousands of original barrels were breeched this way.  (All previously stated)  

I don't believe any of this can be disputed.

Further, Taylor has been so kind as to include a photo of an original threaded bore diameter plug showing that this system can work fine.

The photos Dan included, in an attempt to prove a point, are not even examples of threaded bore diameter barrels.  They are plugs that were not fully seated on a shoulder.  A totally different scenario.

I would also suggest asking  Don Getz or Ed Rayl if they have ever breeched barrels in this manner.  I'm sure these guys along with those who used this system originally know (knew) nothing about the proper way of making barrels , however.

I like to participate here, but somtimes it becomes difficult.  I have given much of my life to this stuff,  and am willing to share any of it for absolutely nothing,.  I'm not sure if this is a the place, though.  I'll say it again.  Ask yourself why the most accomlished builders don't participate here?  

Jim

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 05:38:13 PM »
I invariably cut threads on the breechplug with my lathe, fitting the plug closely to the barrel's threads.  Do the same when threading a barrel to a (if you will pardon the expression) bolt action rifle receiver.
Here's another point, which I do not think has been mentionned.....
How is the shoulder in the barrel breech formed?  If the barrel is bored out on a lathe, the shoulder can be cut at any angle desired - 90 degrees to the bore, etc.  If it is cut with a drill, the shoulder will have the angle generated by the drill bit.  Regardless, the nose of the breechplug needs to match the barrel shoulder.
I believe that originally a piloted counterboring tool was used in a brace. 
There is also the issue of how to get the termination of the full diameter of the threads as close as possible to the shoulder.  Full threads aren't going to terminate right at the shoulder.  A modified tap gets close, closer than a standard bottoming tap.  A bored relief cut on the lathe isn't a good idea.  The last thread on the breechplug can be modified.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 11:38:50 PM »
Guys,
I like to participate here, but somtimes it becomes difficult.  I have given much of my life to this stuff,  and am willing to share any of it for absolutely nothing,.  I'm not sure if this is a the place, though.  I'll say it again.  Ask yourself why the most accomlished builders don't participate here?  

Jim

Many reasons, Jim.  One is that the same mundane topics get discussed over and over.  That's going to happen as readership changes and that have been brought up 20 times are brought up again.  When that happens some who have strong views on the subject get frantic, thinking, "Nobody gets it!"  Another reason for top builders to not post here is that they are busy and it's not an effective use of their time.  They may also get drawn into arguments and even proven "wrong" or "not knowing" of something.  That can only reduce their impact at shows etc.  We have some of the top builders here.  Everybody gets frustrated with some discussions.  Many of the best builders are obsessive compulsive people.  This is true in any field.  Not all have good people skills and would rather be in the shop working.  Many others such as yourself go out of their way to help folks one on one and find that more productive.  Forums are very limiting.
Andover, Vermont

dannybb55

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 12:24:04 AM »
Are you serious ??? ??? ??? ???

Hand Gonnes were done just that way, If the side of the barrel can be welded tight then so can the breach. After all there were wrought cannons without a threaded plug for centuries. :)

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, 03:49:00 AM »
Just read an article about Felix Werder who made brass alloy barrels and the article also discusses how different varieties of brass barrels weres made to include tin soldered sheet wrapped arround a mandrel and reinforced with brass squares. Doesn't mean I will be trying that anytime soon.

As for myself I have managed to find a local traditional gunsmith (only about 5 miles away) who is willing to do the work with a lathe and of course is currently in the process of moving shop... Maybe I'll get arround to this one in a month or two.  So its back to working on my crossbow.