Author Topic: Deluxe Siler  (Read 5921 times)

jafo20

Deluxe Siler
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:29:39 AM »
Hello,

I am gathering parts for a  flintlock Hawken, would this be a good lock for a Hawken flintlock?

Thank you

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: Deluxe Siler
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 05:42:48 AM »
No. This is too early a style.  Study books and pictures of originals. Chambers late Ketland or several other locks from different companies would be a better choice.

jafo20

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 05:48:02 AM »
Thanks....Did a search but didn't find much info on the net.

Offline FALout

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 05:56:59 AM »
You really need to look at original examples, not always something that you will find on the net.  Don't remember the names of books out there on the hawkins rifles, but they are out there.  Some libraries will have them or may be part of a inter-library loan system where you can check them out. 
Bob

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 06:02:01 AM »
If you find pictures of an original Hawken flintlock, please post the pics. I would love to see them.  I should say original St. Louis Hawken.   Smylee

Offline Herb

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 06:19:16 AM »
There are photos of original fullstock Hawken rifles, but none (or maybe one) of a fliintlock.  One lock that works very well is the L&R Manton and Ashmore.  Track of the Wolf has photos of them, like mine below or one with a "reinforced double throated cock", which I'll use on my next fullstock Hawken.  I built this rifle and have shot it about 500 times and like this lock very much.  If you need any fine points on the rifle design, there are people on this forum that can help you.

Here's a full length photo of my .58 Hawken, where I fell on a rock during my elk hunt in November.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 02:03:14 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 06:39:57 AM »
You also might want to contact, and checkout www.donstith.com  Don is one of the most knowledgeable people and suppliers of stuff on Hawken rifles.  Check out/google the Museum of the fur trade, for more info. 

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

jafo20

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 06:44:39 AM »
Thanks for the help...I appreciate it.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 03:52:14 PM »
The Chambers late Ketland is a good lock for this type of rifle. I also make,on special order the Ashmore using L&R external parts and a benchcrafted internal mechanism but it costs more-$75 for the external parts and $150 labor and shipping by Priority Mail.

Bob Roller

Tony Clark

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »
The Chambers late Ketland is a good lock for this type of rifle. I also make,on special order the Ashmore using L&R external parts and a benchcrafted internal mechanism but it costs more-$75 for the external parts and $150 labor and shipping by Priority Mail.

Bob Roller

I've got some wood picked out for him for this build and advised him to think about using the chambers late Ketland, a very good lock in my opinion.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 04:27:15 PM »
Tony,
I will contact Jim McLemore if you want me to and see if he still has those recutting heads that he got when he bought Bill's shop. He took everything except the cobwebs.
The Chambers Ketland is a good choice. I am not sure when I can make another Ashmore because of other work.

Bob Roller

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 08:54:46 PM »
I think that the Chambers Late Ketland, though a very fine lock, is too small for a Hawken rifle, unless it's a squirrel type rather than the plains rifle.  The Hawken flint rifle needs a more robust lock, and L & R's Hawken/Ashmore lock more closely fits the bill.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 09:00:54 PM »
Here's a couple of examples of that lock in a pair of flint Hawken rifles of mine.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bgf

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 02:34:02 AM »
Taylor,
Is that barrel in the lower picture 1 1/8" at breech?  I'm putting together something similar (and yet very different) and have almost come to the same conclusion, that the larger plate on the L&R would work better than the Chambers Ketland, which was my first choice in some ways.  I also love the double throated cock option (in the right context) and think the Manton-Ashmore can probably be tweaked to be as fast or faster than the Ketland, even if it takes a little more work initially.  I may have gotten lucky with my Durs Egg, but so far it has been very serviceable, so I may just take a chance on the Ashmore if you give it a favorable review.