Author Topic: Question???Re Barrel inletting  (Read 4854 times)

greybeard

Question???Re Barrel inletting
« on: January 07, 2012, 09:40:59 PM »
Was wondering how many builders deaw file a slight draft on the bottom half of the side flats of the barrel before starting your inlet when building from a plank. If you do do you think it helps??
Bob

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Question???Re Barrel inletting
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:24:54 PM »
I do.  It helps me.  The barrel goes in and out easier.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »
Never even heard of that idea.  Thanks greybeard.

Coryjoe

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:17:22 AM »
Never even heard of that idea.  Thanks greybeard.

Coryjoe

That little trick is from John Bivins.
Bob

Bentflint

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 05:56:57 PM »
If I have somebody like David do the inlet I leave it as is until I get it home. Then file all the flats and add a draft to the side flats. If I do the inlet by hand I do the file work the same but, do it first. I also brake the sharp edge off the bottom of the side. It helps stop shaving wood from the top of the inlet.

Bruce

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »
It makes sense but I have never heard of doing it that way. Thanks for sharing
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »
I'll sometimes break the corner of each side flat, but that's about it.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 08:04:23 PM »
Never heard of it before but Im gonna give er a go on my next build ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 08:39:02 PM »
I'll draw file the sides of the barrel where it enters the stock....helps pulling the barrel in and out while building.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 07:28:49 PM »
Definitely drawfile the sides before you send the barrel out for inletting.

I also check the fit of the plug to the barrel before I send it. Sometimes I need to move the plug in a bit, or face the back of the barrel a bit to get a better seal of plug to breech.  Now is the time to do this, not after you have the barrel and tang all inlet.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 09:02:27 PM »
I do it on every rifle.
I certainly helps if someone gets moisture and accompaning rust in the barrel channel.
Tom C.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »
I have yet to receive a barrel that didn't need a little bit of "fit improvement" on the breech plug before I even begin the letting in.  On one recent rebarreling job I did for a friend the breechplug was so poorly installed that by the time I got it right the barrel had rotated 3 full flats from its original witness mark!  So heed Acer's comments!

Once the breechplug is properly fitted I draw-file the barrel down to finish dimension.  Then I use a majic marker and color the side flats from one end to the other.  I then drawfile the color off the bottom half of the side flats from one end to the other.  I might only be taking of 1/2 of a thousandth of an inch but that little bit of relief does wonders.

Best Regards,

JMC

greybeard

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 10:41:58 PM »
I have yet to receive a barrel that didn't need a little bit of "fit improvement" on the breech plug before I even begin the letting in.  On one recent rebarreling job I did for a friend the breechplug was so poorly installed that by the time I got it right the barrel had rotated 3 full flats from its original witness mark!  So heed Acer's comments!

Once the breechplug is properly fitted I draw-file the barrel down to finish dimension.  Then I use a majic marker and color the side flats from one end to the other.  I then drawfile the color off the bottom half of the side flats from one end to the other.  I might only be taking of 1/2 of a thousandth of an inch but that little bit of relief does wonders.

Best Regards,

JMC

Right on JMC         Bob