Author Topic: old Siler  (Read 3684 times)

Offline elk killer

old Siler
« on: November 25, 2008, 03:41:48 PM »
i have a large Siler flint that was made in the early 70s,,still works well,,was wondering if insides from a 2008 Siler, would fit in a 70s Siler?
only flintlocks remain interesting..

northmn

Re: old Siler
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 06:11:18 PM »
Look up Chambers on the web site.  They would be the best help.

DP

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:14:45 PM »
Yes, the new Siler parts will still interchange with the old Siler locks.  Any changes we've made to the Siler locks over the years have been done in a manner that would allow the new parts to still work in the older locks.  The springs are going to be a little stronger, and the new tumbler keeps the sear arm in relatively the same position at all three stages.  Having a "one position sear" with the new tumbler in an old lock might necessitate having to adjust the trigger to sear relationship.  Otherwise, I cannot think of anything that would cause problems putting new Siler parts on an old lock.

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 08:30:56 PM »
Speaking of Siler locks, Bud himself is building Large Siler flintlocks for us now in his spare time!  What a great blessing we have living so close to such good locksmith's and gun builders.
Barbie
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:31:51 PM by Blackpowder Barbie »
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Bob Mac

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 12:02:44 AM »
I have a Siler from late 70's. The tumbler has a chip broken out of 1 of the notches. It still holds but I want to replace it just to be on the safe side. Would a new tumbler be ready to use or does it need hardened or tempered?
Bob

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 12:11:58 AM »
We have tumblers that are hardened, tempered and ready to drop in the lock.  However, our tumbler axles are turned to the exact dimensions recommended in the Siler instruction sheet.  In prior years before we started turning all tumblers some assemblers of Siler lock kits turned their tumblers to different dimensions, and some didn't turn them at all.  So, if your old tumbler is turned to 5/16" on the large axle and 11/64" on the small one, we can supply a drop in replacement.  If your tumbler has different dimensions we will need to custom fit a replacement.

Bob Mac

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 02:18:20 AM »
Thanks Jim,
That's what I need. I'll be in touch in the next few weeks. Also need to order a touchhole liner for a build I'm getting ready to start.
Bob