Author Topic: Checkered wrists  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Glenn Hurley Jr.

Checkered wrists
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:45:33 AM »
Does anyone have an original longrifle with checkered wrists?  My dad had one that was probably a buck and ball rifle that I am trying to recreate.  The flintlock rifle had a horn nosecap, brass thimbles, brass buttplate, no carving, no patchbox.   It did have a raised cheepiece.  The sights were very low and as a youngster growing up I had no trouble finding the front sliver in the notched rear sight.  (I don't know what these eyes today would see through those sights!)  Dad never took a picture of it and it got away from me some years ago when my dad divided up his guns.  My hope is to build another version of the original.  By the way, my dad had the barrel sleeved 20 years ago, so the rifle I am making won't be a smoothbore.  The finished product hopefully will be similar to the rifle when my dad last had it.  It was SO sweet to put up to your shoulder!!  Any ideas about a possible origin or photos would really be appreciated.  The original reminds me a lot of the rifle that is above the AmericanLongrifles.com logo at the top of the homepage.  I look forward you your help.  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:51:32 AM by Glenn Hurley Jr. »

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: Checkered wrists
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 05:54:26 AM »
You will likely find several long rifles with checkered wrist in the ALR Museum and Library on this web site. I can think of several Lancaster PA gunsmith that used this decorative carving.
Hurricane

Offline Glenn Hurley Jr.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 06:27:48 AM »
Thank you for the input, I have checked almost all of the Lancaster gunsmiths but I haven't found any checkered wrists.  Do you remember which ones may have done that?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:00:06 AM »
Lancaster builder, Melchoir Fordney used checkering quite often on his rifles. York County makers used it as did makers up in Allentown. Check out the Rupp and Kunz makers as they checkered wrists on their pieces, as well. Look in the ALR Library here for what you want and then look at Kindig, the Whisker series, and any of the other good resource books that are listed in the Library. You should find what you need there. Good luck and keep us up to date as you work toward completion of your build.
Best regards-Dick

Offline Glenn Hurley Jr.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »
Thanks, Dick, I'll check those out.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 06:10:22 PM »
Check out this Va. longrifle by Zollman...

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=15103.0
Ed Hamberg

Offline Mark Tyler

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:37:56 PM by Mark Tyler »

Offline JIM FRANCIS

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 08:08:20 PM »
GLENN, HERE ARE PHOTOS OF MY LANCASTER CO. RIFLE BY JACOB ROOP. THE CHECKERING  IS  VERY WORN, BUT MAYBE IT'LL GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR.
                           REGARDS, JIM FRANCIS

mgrgrt

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 01:27:38 AM »