General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

25 loads?

(1/5) > >>

northmn:
I have the wherewithall at this time to get a Rayl 25 barrel and build a nice light rifle.  A few have them and I would like some feed back on ball size.  #3 or #4 buck?  Powder charge?  and some experiences with them.

DP

Levy:
I just got back from my annual hunting/camping trip on the Ochlocknee River here in Florida and we had a great time.  I promised myself that I would use the nice .25 cal. (Ed Rayl barrel) rifle that Billy Harkins made for me.  I'm not a great shot, but it is great on squirrels and I got 8 of them.  I was shooting from a bullet board with .018 patches (striped like pillow ticking) prelubed with Wonder Lube/Ox-Yoke or something comparable.  I was using #4 buckshot (.24) and it loaded easily shot after shot if I cleaned the petroleum oil out of the bore and wiped it with the WonderLube before loading the first time.  I have a 5 lb. box of #3 (.25 cal.) and would like to try it, but haven't yet.  Build the gun, you'll love it.

James Levy

Daryl:
You guys are stirring up some interest in reallllllly small bores amonst us bush-apes in Northern BC, don't cha ya know.

Gene Carrell:
I got the itch for a 25cal after spending the  afternoon shooting a friends rifle several months ago. I now have one started using one of Rayl's 3/4"x42" 25cal. in the style of a southern mountain rifle. I think it will be just the thing  for squirrels. Have a jar full of #4 buck to get started.

Levy:
Daryl: There has to be something small enough for you to hunt in BC with a .25 caliber rifle?  What about some kind of grouse or rabbits.  I understand that moose are shot up there with a .25 rimfire.

James Levy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version