Author Topic: What helped you improve your longrifle building?  (Read 13628 times)

Offline M Tornichio

Re: What helped you improve your longrifle building?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »
i agree with most everything that has been posted. for me studying orginal rifles helped alot. Taking a class at bowling green helped alot also. I am blessed with the ability to watch something perform a task and being able to pick up on subtle nuances. I usually can not copy those nuances right away, but with practice I can pick things up that way.  I have troubles reading a book and understanding how to make it work in real life. At least early on.
Finally the most important thing is to practice. 10,000 hours is what it takes to become a master as anything. Eventually you get to the point where you just have to start. From there on practice, practice, practice.

Offline fm tim

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 10:47:09 PM »
Jacobsburg Historical Society Apprentice Gunmakers class

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 01:09:08 AM »
When I started attempting to build my first longrifle the few oldtimers around were less than willing to share their hard earned secrets -- and not afraid to tell that to a rookie! My, how the culture has changed. (As a side note, their attitude may have been because they really didn't know all that much, compared to today's builders, and were therefore more protective.)

Without a doubt the most important thing that helped me improve my building was having the great good fortune to get in with a few other young builders with the love and passion for the work. At my home in the mountains of Virginia and later at the Colonial Williamsburg Gunshop rifle building was almost a competitive sport. We pushed each other constantly. Do it better. Do it faster. Figure out how it was done & do it without relying on modern tools and techniques. Sweat off 5 pounds forge welding a rifle barrel in July. There was nothing politically correct or kind about this process --- coworkers laughed out loud at your mistakes. Some who came there collapsed under that sort of pressure and others grew stronger.

Unlike today, where everyone on the team gets a trophy, there was no coddling and no lasting ill will when you were taught a hard lesson. It sometimes makes it hard for me to play nice in the modern sandbox where folks are so concerned about hurting someones feeling that they will not be honest in evaluating work.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 01:59:25 AM »
It's advice like Gary's that has made all of the difference to me.  Attending Dixon's Gunmaker's Fayre and particularly, meeting and spending time with accomplished builders, and having had the privilege to study two fabulous collections of original rifles...that's what has improved my knowledge, skill,  philosophy, and my finished work.  And I look forward to improving as I continue.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 02:16:20 AM »
Thanks for mentioning that , Gary. Brutal honestly by a very few has saved me from repeating mistakes, and it is unfortunately, not easily come by. Peter Alexander pointed out three things which I had done which were "completely wrong" I was grateful. I'm particularly interested in how they did things, not just the end result. The recently published information ,DVD's etc by those skilled in some of these techniques has been wonderful . 

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 02:29:40 AM »
Well it's been a long ongoing journey.  I had the good fortune to meet some good builders shortly after I got the bug.  They weren't necessarily totally historically correct, but they knew good looking architecture, and were good craftsmen, and willing to share their knowledge with a beginner who wouldn't stop asking questions.
Being able to see things done well first hand, is pretty hard to beat.

The second big thing was being there at the start of Gunmakers Hall at Friendship.  There I eavesdropped on conversations of the very best builders at the time, and saw some of the finest contemporary work of it's day.  I hung around there so much that I eventually joined in the conversations,  and got an immense amount of great advise from those builders.

The last big item on the list was attending a couple classes at WKU.

Along the way I've built a modest number of guns,  and taken every opportunity to inspect whatever original work that has presented itself.

Finally,  I try to be my own hardest critic.  I usually know what can be improved.

Jeff

There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

westbj2

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 03:50:37 AM »
It was about 1975 or 76.  A friend who lived nearby, Don Allen, had developed a 3 axis pantograph especially to duplicate gunstocks.  John Bivins was in the midst of his contract with the State of Pennsylvaina and the Bi-Centennial rifles.  John was interested in the duplicator as his "mechanical apprentice" as he referred to it. 
I had just finished a rifle with the first swamped barrel that I had used but had made a few rifles previously.  Don must have thought it was OK because he invited me to come to his home to meet John and the two outlaws that came with him.  Lew Sanchez and Joe Scorscone.  Don said to bring the newly finished rifle along.
Anyway, I went down to Don's that Saturday morning and met the bunch from North Carolina rifle in hand.
Upon showing the rifle to John, he looked it up and down for a minute and handed it back to me.  "looks like you finished the carving with a flap wheel" he said.
I have had sharp corners and edges branded into my brain ever since........You are correct Gary........no coddling.
Jim Westberg

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 03:54:35 AM »
I enjoyed hearing your story Gary.  Thanks!

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
I agree with everything said. I just want to add:

Know when to walk away. Know when to stop, Overworked can be as bad as underworked. And don't rush anything.

Tony Clark

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 04:28:56 PM »

Upon showing the rifle to John, he looked it up and down for a minute and handed it back to me.  "looks like you finished the carving with a flap wheel" he said.
I have had sharp corners and edges branded into my brain ever since........You are correct Gary........no coddling.
Jim Westberg

I got a good laugh out of that Jim... I bet you respected John even more for making that comment and giving you something to strive for.

westbj2

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 05:09:21 PM »
At first, I thought John's remark was a bit harsh.  Later, I came to understand the importance of the comment.   Over the years we laughed about it.   John had a fancy for Ballard rifles and I had agreed to restock a rifle for him just before the Lymphoma got very serious.  Regrettably, I never got to do the job. 
Jim

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 05:14:59 PM »
 Yes, honest critique, it may not make your day but it will help you along no matter what area of the culture.

Tim C.

Bentflint

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 05:37:40 PM »
As has been said people with honest opinions.

But, one thing that stands out in my mind and the first thing I thought of when I was reading the question. I was at an reenactment and I see this guy from about 50 yards away. He had a rifle in his hand and was just walking along. I said out loud “that’s a good looking rifle right there”. I had that gun in my hands many times over the weekend. Every time I got close to it I ask to look at it again. The owner was happy to hand it to me. Everything about that gun was good. Not over done or fancy, just enough carving and the architecture was perfect.

That one rifle still gives me something to shoot for.

Top of the barrel signed “Ian Pratt”.