Author Topic: Vincent  (Read 8968 times)

2grouse

Vincent
« on: January 10, 2012, 03:26:43 AM »
I aquired a rifle yesterday from a family that gave me this story. (These are not gun people) The ladies great uncle live with them the last 7 years of his life. Died in 1980 at 95. He bought the gun from a gunsmith south of their farm in Washington county Ohio when he was a teenager in 1900. It has been in the same family for 112 years. It looks like a plain Vincent. 36cal/ 15/16 x 39" barrel. (It has been shortened at the breech by 2.5".) Everything functions, and the drum and plug came right out with minimal effort. Beutiful curl. Everthing looks Vincent except the lock mortise which is long, more like a flint mortise. I speculate that it was made by John Vincent, shortened to remove a worn breech area by John Caleb Vincent, and bought by Robert Kenieth Radcliff in 1900. If I knew how, I would post pictures. Ric

Tony Clark

Re: Vincent
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 03:55:57 AM »
If you can send me pics I will post  them.

theprince1513@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:47:27 PM by Tony Clark »

GrampaJack

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 04:11:55 AM »
A John Vincent in fair condition went for about $1500.00 at auction in N. E.Ohio a couple weeks ago. I know because that's what it took to beat my best bid. I may have stopped too soon but I still have my money. Jack

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 05:41:56 AM »
Jack,
A really nice "John" went for a lot more than that down here about 6-8 months ago. Had all the proper markings and one old repair.
Mark
Mark

Tony Clark

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »

2grouse

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 12:25:31 AM »
Thanks Tony for posting pictures. Tell me what you think boys. I was on this site up until about a year and a half ago. Went through a divorce, and moved from Spokane Wa, back to Ohio. Good to see familar names again. Like I've come home. Ric

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 01:37:16 AM »
2grouse,
You have a nice rifle there but 3 things jump out at me; the triggers, the lock mortice and the perch belly in the stock. These things do not resemble any Vincent rifles that I am familiar with. Perhaps, based on the family's story, it is by another maker from Washington County?
Mark
Mark

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 01:44:14 AM »
Good points, and those don't agree with most Vincents, I have seen, either. The hollowing out of the comb sides on the stock, on the other hand, agrues in the opposite direction. Is there no signature on the barrel, anywhere? It could be a very late Caleb gun made, at or near, the end of his life. Not sure what his dates were, but this gun appears to be quite late and shows changes in style, just as Adolphus Drake's work about the same time, show stylistic changes in Bedford guns.
Thank you for showing us this pretty little rifle. You did well to acquire it!
Dick

2grouse

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 02:27:44 AM »
No signatures. The barrel was shortened bu 2.5" at the breech, which could account for that. It may not be Vincent, but I believe whoever built it was influenced by Vicent. Did either ever have an apprentice. The family took it to Cabellas in Wheeling. They valued it at 700 - 1100, of course they said it was certainly converted from flint. HA HA LOL

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 04:28:05 AM »
2grouse,
Based on the location of the usual Vincent barrel markings, I don't think 2.5" would have eliminated the signature. It is a nice rifle and has Vincent  influence but I don't think it is a Vincent. Thre were many other  makers in the Washington County area and it may very well be by one of them.  I have looked and am not finding any particular builder whose architecture and hardware matches yours. I don't know where in Ohio you are but you might think about bringing the rifle to our show in Marietta in April, perhaps one of the fellows could identify it. The show is April 14-15 at the Lafayette Hotel.
Mark
Mark

2grouse

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 05:34:52 AM »
I may bring it. I'm in Pataskala, it make a good way to spend the day.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 06:06:53 AM »
Go to the show Ric, a good number of high quality guns and real nice folks. I enjoy it. The one in Newark isn't too far away from you either.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 06:33:31 AM »
Ric,
We're neighbors, I live on the east side of Columbus. If I can be of help let me know.
Mark
Mark

BGC

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 07:48:11 AM »
That "fish belly" stock reminds me more of a McGirr then a Vincent.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 07:48:14 PM »
There is a John Vincent Rifle for sale over on the CLA site.
Joel Hall

2grouse

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 09:15:17 PM »
When is the Newark show?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 02:18:20 AM »
Ric,
Not until October.
Mark
Mark

coutios

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 03:43:35 AM »
 There was a Benard Howe who apprenticed to John V. along with Caleb.. I have looked at one of Benards rifles that is a spitting image of Calebs work.. I have been lucky enough to look at/handle 30/40 pcs. of both Johns and Calebs work and like others I have never seen a Perch Belly made by them... Dose not mean it dose'nt exist .... But....

You can see examples of John, Caleb and Benards work at the Log Cabin..

Regards
Dave

2grouse

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 06:27:31 AM »
OK, thanks everyone. Not a Vincent, but a really cool rifle. I knew I could count on you all. My 40+ year search continues. Don't you love this game? Ric