Author Topic: Becky lock on rifle  (Read 8323 times)

Offline Michigan Flinter

Becky lock on rifle
« on: January 11, 2012, 02:40:48 AM »
  I am starting gather parts to build a southern style flint rifle for my grandson .I have a 36 inch straight .40 cal, 13/16 Green mountain barrel Gillespie butt plate and trigger gaurd. MY QUESTION is would a L&R becky lock be big enough  to use?  ALSO when putting cast off in the butt Do YOU keep the butt plate square to the centerline of the cast off or to the bore ? Thank You for your reply on these two questions.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Becky lock on rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:42:40 AM »
MY QUESTION is would a L&R becky lock be big enough  to use?
I would think its large enough but I hate to see that type of lock put on a southern mountain rifle. I think they should have one of the English style locks like most of the originals had.

Dennis
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 05:32:33 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:01:37 AM »
Dennis...........I will have to disagree with you on that buttplate.  I think we are splitting hairs here since cast-off in a gun
is not really that much.  I think it should fit the butt, not the bore line.   To illustrate my point, let's put a one inch cast off
on this little rascal.   If you line up the buttplate extension with the bore, it won't look right....think about it..........Don

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:29:28 AM »
    I think you might be disappointed in the amount of sparks you will get from the small lock.   Don't get me wrong that it is not a good little lock, but it is little.  Little frizzen and little flint.  You want your grandson to have the best introduction to the sport possible a bit larger lock would give better reliability.  It is kind of like starting a kid with a 410, you handicap their chances with the small bore when a 20 ga would give much better results.  If you are determined to use a Germanic lock and want some thing small, but reliable, don't overlook Stan Hollenbaugh's Ditchburn lock.  It has a very strong mainspring and sparks exceptionally well.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 04:36:44 AM »
 Thanks for the comments on the butt plate and also the lock .what would be a good lock for me to use?I want it to be as correct as possible . Thanks

Offline JDK

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 04:50:01 AM »
Chambers Late Ketland.  Lock plate is small but not pistol small.  Fast, reliable lock.  JDK
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 05:42:26 AM »
I think Davis makes the Becky lock, not L & R.  I believe a L & R small manton would be a good choice for the style and size of the rifle you're thinking about.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 06:45:12 AM »
Eric, I agree with Taylor, the Manton, or Bailes, both L&R's will work, draw the gun out fullsize, and use the full-size drawings from the Track catalogue.  Don't go too small, it's amazing how quick these munchkins grow.  My first one I tried one of those cheap .32 cal CVA's, and cut it down.  That was one Spring, by the time I had it done around the first of August he had already out grown it.  Fortunately with 11 grand kids it is easy to pass down.  Good luck with the project.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 07:33:24 AM »
On rifles with cast off, I always install my butt plates centered on and in line with the stock rather than on the bore.  As Don said, with the small amount of cast off usually put on a rifle you will never have any difficulty  shouldering or shooting the gun.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Collector

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 09:43:51 AM »
I think, for your purposes, Danny Caywood's Southern Mountain Rifle flint lock might be just the ticket!! 

Give him a call@  870-423-4741

Good luck!!

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »
I faced the  same question  a while back. I was building a southern rifle with 3/4" bbl and wanted it to be quite slender. Even had purchased the becky lock by Davis. I just  did not think it was for my project and went with  Chambers' Queen Anne Pistol lock. Lots  of sparks and worked in just  fine.  Mid  size and  3/4" flint.
Gene

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »
My Becky lock has enough sparks for me.

The Pistol Shooter

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 05:25:09 PM »
Dennis...........I will have to disagree with you on that buttplate.  I think we are splitting hairs here since cast-off in a gun
is not really that much.  I think it should fit the butt, not the bore line.   To illustrate my point, let's put a one inch cast off
on this little rascal.   If you line up the buttplate extension with the bore, it won't look right....think about it..........Don
Don to tell you the truth after thinking about it you are right. I only put a 1/4 cast off on my patterns and in my mind the buttplate is 90 degrees to the bore but in looking at it the way you did I do line the buttplate extension with the centerline of the butt which means it IS NOT 90 degrees to the bore. Sorry, I was wrong.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »
  I am starting gather parts to build a southern style flint rifle for my grandson .I have a 36 inch straight .40 cal, 13/16 Green mountain barrel Gillespie butt plate and trigger gaurd. MY QUESTION is would a L&R becky lock be big enough  to use?  ALSO when putting cast off in the butt Do YOU keep the butt plate square to the centerline of the cast off or to the bore ? Thank You for your reply on these two questions.

The L&R #1700 "Bailes" is an excellent design and would be prefect for a small rifle like this.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 06:13:55 PM »
Bill is right, be carefull about building too small. I did one for my son and fit it to him. Almost seemed he had outgrown it before it was done. One mistake I made was not putting enough drop in the stock. It works ok for little guys but I can't get my head down low enough to line up the sights well on it. If it had a little more drop I could shoot it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline deano

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 07:26:39 PM »
My Becky lock has enough sparks for me.

Mine to, it is a great little pistol lock...or if you wanted a tiny rifle for a novelty piece.  I have occasionally wondered about the practicality of a a .29 caliber skinny pea rifle with a 3/4" barrel and a Becky's lock.

Phil I would love to see more pictures of your target pistol with the backwards lock.

Ken

Offline t.caster

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 08:56:13 PM »
Eric, good advice so far. I agree with the small Manton/Bailles lock for you, and butt pl. inline with the stock. How many grandsons do you have? Seems like you've built 3 so far for them! I'm a little jealous....I have 5 granddaughters!
Tom C.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 10:56:47 PM »
Can't post any pictures of the full pistol. Against the rules here. I'm lucky to post what I did.
The Pistol Shooter

Offline deano

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 05:09:25 PM »
A modern flintlock, who would have ever figured?

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »
interesting... I am actually contemplating a similar build since the origional brass parts I have are so small.  I posted some pics of the brass under this topic http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=19460.msg183975#msg183975 and I am planing on using the Dixie Blount Co. lock as it is about the same size as the side plate.   
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:51:02 PM by Chris Treichel »