Author Topic: Auction Horn Punxsutawney PA  (Read 4578 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Auction Horn Punxsutawney PA
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
This horn was recently auctioned in Punxy PA.   Can anyone approximate the era it was
made.  Interested in opinions on the name scratched in this horn.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Auction Horn Punxsutawney PA
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:46:08 PM »
Pretty cool horn Rob. I have one very similar with the brass flange pouring spout built in. I believe this style to be popular around 1850 at the earliest and used well beyond that time frame.( Civil War era) The signature scratched on it looks like J KOPP  ?? Wonder if there could be any relation to the gunsmith family? It is interesting to see powder horns with names of gunsmiths on them. There is a fine horn over on the David Condon site that has the name John Ford scrimmed on it. Pretty pricey but fun to look at!
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:53:19 PM »
I showed the horn to Brian Kopp and he thinks the name is Rupp.  I see where the faint scratch
rounds the top of the K possibly making it an R and the O actually a U.   The last letter is very
hard to make out.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:55:30 PM by Rob Watt (suzkat) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 11:59:26 PM »
Hard to tell with these. It could have been an old horn that underwent some damage at the spout and had the brass charger added for continued use, or it could have been made this way. Joel has it right on the age; it is after 1850. You see a lot of these in Europe and they are almost always flat horns. Over there they seem to be a bit earlier. I have seen some fine F & I map horns with chargers added later to keep the horn in service. As to the name, your friend could be right; it may be 'Rupp.' Nice find and thank you for showing it here.
Dick

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »
The scratching looks like J Koph To me.  ???
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 05:23:31 PM »
There were 2 J. Koph's on Ancestry.com in the 1800s Texas and Alabama at different
times.  Could be the same guy.  Not likely his horn ends up in Punxsy, but possible.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »
I'd go with the earlies is mid 19th century, but could also be later.

If tip areas were ever destroyed or broken old spouts from a metal flask were attached at a later time so trying to date the horn based on the metal spout can be a challenge.

Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 10:34:46 PM »
The name Kopp is derived from the German word Kuppe (“knoll”).

In 1576, Kopp passed to the Electorate of Trier. In 1794, after the French had beaten the Austrians, the local nobles found themselves stripped of their fiefs, hunting rights and other feudal privileges by French troops. At first, the French were welcomed as liberators, but public opinion soon shifted to hatred towards people now seen as occupiers. After Napoleon’s defeats at Leipzig (1813) and Waterloo (1815), Kopp found itself in Prussian hands.
    I wonder if George and Andrew were from Kopp Germany?

The word Koph has no german meaning.  It is the 19th letter of the Hebrew alphabet.  Interestingly the
J Koph on Ancestry.com located in Texas was of german origin.
   I'm wondering if they replaced the natural spouts on old powder horns when the brass measuring spouts
became available, just because it made it quicker to measure your charge?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:37:30 PM by Rob Watt (suzkat) »

Kopp

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 03:59:15 AM »
The name Kopp is derived from the German word Kuppe (“knoll”).

In 1576, Kopp passed to the Electorate of Trier. In 1794, after the French had beaten the Austrians, the local nobles found themselves stripped of their fiefs, hunting rights and other feudal privileges by French troops. At first, the French were welcomed as liberators, but public opinion soon shifted to hatred towards people now seen as occupiers. After Napoleon’s defeats at Leipzig (1813) and Waterloo (1815), Kopp found itself in Prussian hands.
    I wonder if George and Andrew were from Kopp Germany?

The word Koph has no german meaning.  It is the 19th letter of the Hebrew alphabet.  Interestingly the
J Koph on Ancestry.com located in Texas was of german origin.
   I'm wondering if they replaced the natural spouts on old powder horns when the brass measuring spouts
became available, just because it made it quicker to measure your charge?
Andrew and George Kopp's ancestors were named "Kapp" and are reported to have come from either the Palatine or Bavarian region of Germany.

Andrew Kopp's Pennsylvanian father was listed as "Kapp." Prior Pennsylvania ancestors were spelled "Kapp." Andrew is the first in our geneology to be spelled Kopp. I suspect that was simply an "english" phonetic spelling of how "Kapp" was pronounced in German.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:01:05 AM by Brian Kopp »