General discussion > Antique Accoutrements

Arsenal Built "Gunners" Horns

<< < (2/2)

Millman48:
Thanks for ya'lls comments.  Several interesting aspects to these horns are when they are marked in some ways.  The large horn at the bottom of the picture is marked with a painted "No. 15" on it main body.  I am assume this means that the horn was assigned to "Gun" number 15, but I might be wrong.  Possible naval cannon?  There is also remnants of what I think is original green arsenal paint on the base plug, and filling screw.

Two of the horns are engraved.  One with some British military coat of arms, and a map of the Boston area, showing various fort/battery locations, etc..  The other engraved horn
has an eagle, skeleton, bear, sun, and possible Masonic symbols.

Thanks, keep the comments coming..........

Don Millman

backsplash75:
Yep. Artillery priming horns. British ones are sometimes marked RA (Royal Artillery) there were similar RevWar Light infantry horns too.

Using the terminology below in a google books search will likely be useful.

http://books.google.com/books?id=E0gSAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA174&dq=artillery+priming+horns+ticonderoga&hl=en&ei=MC3NTfOAGsbEgQfB8dXADA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Orderly book of the northern army, at Ticonderoga and Mt. Independence, from ...
 By Pennsylvania Infantry. 5th Regt., 1776-1783, Anthony Wayne

A Calculation of Ordnance and Ordnance Stores wanted for the Army of the Northern Department, made by Order of the Honourable Major - Gneral Schuyler.  Dated in Camp at Ticonderoga, Nov. 30, 1776

"...Fifty large priming Horns, screw Bottoms, with spring Tops and Belts, A. ..."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version