Author Topic: Damascus Knife (Update #2)  (Read 9367 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Damascus Knife (Update #2)
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:42:00 AM »
I have been up to my eyeballs with aerospace work for quite some time and have not had the time to build a rifle or anything very complicated.  So, I thought a knife would be a quick project.  I made this one with a plain ebony grip, brass grip parts, and a 9 inch damascus blade.  I had intended to engrave the brass work, install some brass inlays in the ebony, and flute the rest of the grip.  Now that I have it this far, I can't decide if I want to do the engraving and fluting or if I should just leave it rather plain.  Any thoughts?  (I need to come up with a scabbard as well.)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:24:49 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline alyce-james

Re: Damascus Knife
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 06:24:41 AM »
Good evening Sir; I think this quality knife deserves the complete treatment. engraving, fluted grip and inlays in the ebony. I also see a black grained, pig skin, leather scabbard with engraved metal protectors, much like the style sheaths of the English Sheffields. (1850,s) Great looking project. Thanks, Jim & Alyce.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 07:02:33 AM »
Dave as always great work.  However I have to say that bolt in the butt sort of lacks artistry consistent with the rest of the work.  Fluted handle with engraving fully justified. 

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:39:02 AM »
Dave,
That bolt head can be treated to some of your fine, simple, engraving along with some inlays in the handle. It will only make a fine piece even better.
Mark
Mark

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 07:47:11 AM »
Engrave acanas leafs on the dome and checker the bolt head, strip of checkering in a barbor pole fasion on wood.  Looks great the way it is too.   Smylee

jrice

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 06:08:15 PM »
Dave very nice work. Clean sharp well defined detail work. Jerry

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 06:24:18 PM »
I agree with the general opinion: don't stop now! It's looking good now and it will look even better after the full "dave" treatment!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 07:28:19 PM »
 Looks good to me just the way it is. I would probably dirty it up some add some dings and make a second generation scabbard for it but that's just me. I have never seen anything Dave's made that wasn't artfully done and I'm sure this will be no exception.

Tim C.

The other DWS

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 11:15:02 PM »
Excellent piece Dave.  
Over the years I have seen a few museum historical "side-knives"  that were created out of cut-down single-edged hangar or hunting- type swords that probably had broken or damaged  blades.  This resulted in a substantial knife that had a grip that was slightly more massive in proportion to the blade.  As I recall the MIssouri State Historical museum has several in its collection.
  The one that really sticks in my mind had a spirally fluted dark wood grip with fine braided bright wire in a small groove in the peak of each flute.  It might have originally had a leather wrapped grip but the leather was long gone and I suspect that the wire was a later and higher grade replacement.  It originally  probably had a "d"-shaped grip that had been cut away leaving small non-symetrical guard quillions that looked a mite too small in proportion to the actual grip.  In many ways your better proportioned piece reminds me of my mental image of it
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 04:47:46 PM by The other DWS »

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Damascus Knife (Up Date #1)
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:44:19 AM »
Thanks for the comments.  Since I am not any sort of knife smith I am feeling my way along here.  To Jerry L., yes the bolt is a little clunky but I attached the grip that way (for now) so I could take the grip apart and play with different options.  I am making two other different grips including the brass guard and pommel pieces.  I took the advice about engraving to heart and thought I would give this guard a new kind of boarder.  After the boarder was on, I thought a little scroll work might not look bad.  I still haven't made a final decision on the engraving and may just file all this away and start over.  (Tim C - after all is said and done I might just revert to the plain version and let it all tarnish.)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:24:14 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 12:57:44 AM »
Dave,
Although the second picture is beautiful, I think I like the simplicity of just the boarder.
Mark
Mark

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 01:23:37 AM »
Mark,

I think you are right.  Well, right now there is scroll work on one side and not on the other so I can flip the knife over and have it either way....

DC
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 01:57:26 AM »
David; I think both sides should be engraved. Looking great. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Trkdriver99

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 04:05:41 AM »
I wish I were talented. You do wonderful work Dave.

Ronnie

Offline Levi Garrett

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 04:37:31 AM »
The scroll work is gorgeous, I wouldn't stop if I could engrave like that!

nthe10ring

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 10:08:32 PM »
Nicely done Dave, quite elegant as is all your stuff.  Nice bevels on that blade, did you forge it.

Jerry Fisher

greybeard

Re: Damascus Knife (Update #1)
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 08:08:45 AM »
Now thats "CHERRY"
    Bobby

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Damascus Knife (Update #2)
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 03:21:03 AM »
Had a chance to work on this knife again.  Didn't like the original grip or pommel.  Made a new grip with brass inlays and lost the round pommel.  Might change it again...have a completely different idea for a new grip.  Good thing I don't do this sort of thing for a living.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:23:14 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 05:28:34 AM »
Dave,
Now you've gone and done it, you made a beautiful knife even beautifuller!
Mark
Mark

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 05:37:55 AM »
OK, you may stop now - perfection has been achieved! Nice job, Dave.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 05:42:35 AM »
Hi Dave,
It is a long time since we spoke.  Wonderful knife!  Your engraving is so bold and has an excellent vintage look.  You have a style that would grace an 18th century English gun very, very well.  If I may, on this particular knife I would not have sectioned the handle. Rather, I would carry the fluting all the way through.  That gives the handle flow and a delicacy that compliments the knife.  The damascus pattern is like lace work and needs a delicate touch on the handle.  You already have the bold designs on the guard and pommel, the handle would look great if it complimented the delicacy of the blade.  If I wanted a silver accent, I might inlay silver wire along the crests of the flutes.  Just my opinions, Dave.  I am in awe of your talents and work.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 07:36:30 AM »
David !

Yes, too long since we have spoken.  Your observation on the grip is right on the mark.  I didn't like something about this one and I just couldn't put my finger on it.  And you're right, the sectioning breaks up the lines.  I have made two other grips and I haven't liked any of them, but the one you suggest will be exactly what I should have been heading for all along.  As soon as I have a chance I will make one with long straight flutes the full length of the grip. Thanks for the excellent advice !!

Dave C
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 06:18:38 PM »
Dave...Did not want to comment until now...I love the progress and thought behind your work.  It shows in the end result.  I like the knife the way it turned out but agree on the handle.  Another option may be a tulip flare.

Great work.
Regards - John

Daryl

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 08:08:31 PM »
That is just exquisitely wonderful work, Dave - World Class!