Author Topic: a challange...  (Read 2091 times)

Offline bjmac

a challange...
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:31:01 AM »
to every one of you experienced builders. It is that you take one of us 'newbies' under their wing as an apprentice for one rifle, fowler or pistol. May have to to it totally on the web, some may  have the ability to meet in person and that would be a plus.
 My proposal is this: Dennis is the judge and arbitrator on all thoughts. We can set all the rules and due dates as this progresses.
 Any one wanna play?

Offline Dave B

Re: a challange...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 08:46:33 PM »
You are not too far away from Steve Vance (Northern California) and Ron Scott (Southern Or). I think spending time with some one who is in process of building so you can ask questions as the project progresses. I have never heard of any one doing this via Skype but that may be a way to do it over long distance. Has any one attempted doing it this way? I cannot say enough about the classes that are being offered around the country in rifle building. You will be money a head to take one of these classes. Next best thing is to attend the Oregon Gun makers Fair held in May around the first weekend of the month.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: a challange...
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 09:16:15 PM »
I may be out of line, but even here in the Great White North, there are those who aspire to recreate their own muzzleloading guns, and who come to me for help/inspiration/guidance/fellowship.  I spent all of yesterday morning with just such a man, and consider it time well spent.  Tomorrow, another fellow is bringing his Tulle stock to the shop for AF staining.  I doubt that there are many accomplished builders who are not in similar situations, whether you'd call it apprenticeship or not.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.