Author Topic: contemporary makers  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
contemporary makers
« on: January 15, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »
Gentlemen,
Good morning, I have obtained 2 rifles that were made in the mid 70's. They were bought at Fort Davis in Friendship by my Uncle. the makers names are Don Goucher and Alan Snyder. Does anybody know or know of these 2 gentlemen. The rifles look as though they just left the work bench. My Uncle took care of them cleaning them twice a year and they are in EXCELLENT condition. If anybody has any info I would appreciate it.
Buck 

Offline Simon

Re: contemporary makers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 02:24:03 AM »
Don Gaucher was a part time maker in El Reno, Oklahoma in the late 60's-70's. was a city fireman at the time.  He had a shop with a riffling machine that he had made from someones plans and used Dougles blanks if I remember correctly.  He was elected to the board of directors of the NMLRA around 1969 I think.  He was the one person who got me started in black powder.  I moved away in 1971 and have totally lost track of him.

I don't know the other name.

Mel
Mel Kidd

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Re: contemporary makers
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:21:52 AM »
Simon,
Thankyou  for the info. The Goucher rifle is a beauty, the patchbox is an Eagle with a sheild and he has a ribbon in his beak that spans  from the lower stock molding to the comb (this is silver wire). The side plate is a Trout. I will try to post some pictures. He did some nice work.
Thank You.
Buck