Author Topic: Another useful book - Gunsmithing Tips & Projects  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
Another useful book - Gunsmithing Tips & Projects
« on: January 15, 2012, 07:32:41 PM »
With all the discussion about a new edition of Peter Alexander's very helpful book, I thought I would mention this one that may be unfamiliar with some of the newer builders.

Gunsmithing Tips & Projects, edited by Dave Wolfe, is a collection of articles from Rifle magazine.  It has a bunch of articles that do not relate directly to muzzleloading, but there are a dozen or more that are directly on point (mostly written by John Bivins) and others that provide useful information.

Amazon has it listed at a discounted price:

http://www.amazon.com/Gunsmithing-Tips-Projects-Second-Anthology/dp/187935683X

If you want the original, thay have it, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Gunsmithing-Tips-Projects-Dave-Wolfe/dp/0935632816

Larry Luck

Offline Dave B

Re: Another useful book - Gunsmithing Tips & Projects
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 08:36:09 PM »
I can vouch for what Larry is saying this is a must have for the gun builder. If memory serves there are 14 articles by John Bivins in the book. There are several others that can be applied to what we do. Of the articles by John I recall there being ones on carving, advanced carving, Metal finishing with a damp box, gun stocking, lock building, types of inlay, wire inlay, and rifle restoration I & II. the binding on my copy was taking a beating so I copied and spiral bound the articles for my bench.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline James

Re: Another useful book - Gunsmithing Tips & Projects
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 11:01:47 PM »
I got a copy of this book when it was mentioned here a while back. I have found it invaluable. Mr. Bivin's articles are worth way more than I paid for it.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry