Author Topic: Stain question  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Stain question
« on: January 16, 2012, 02:44:01 AM »
Gentlemen,
I started staining my stock today.  I am using the stain Chambers sells.  I want it to be pretty dark.  At this point I have applied three coats and in some areas it looks great.  It is still a little blocthcy though, being lighter in some areas.  Will this be remedied as more coats are applied, or is there another trick.  I have used this stain before but not on something this large, it was alwasy on baseplugs for horns, or similar items. 

Thanks

Coryjoe

Offline T*O*F

Re: Stain question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 03:25:53 AM »
Soak a guaze pad with alcohol and run it over the stock.  You can blend the dark areas into the blotchy ones.  Also, if you do the same thing immediately before your next coat of stain, it will go on more evenly.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: Stain question
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 06:12:14 PM »
TOF I tried that trick last night before going to bed.  Just walked out there this morning to check it out, and it seems to have helped quite a bit.  Thanks.

Coryjoe