Author Topic: Wood  (Read 3974 times)

Offline wattlebuster

Wood
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:22:31 PM »
Been thinking bout a future build an I have a question for all you pro builders out there. Which is a tougher more durable wood, sugar maple or walnut?
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: Wood
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 12:22:02 AM »
sugar maple
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 12:51:05 AM »
No doubt about it Sugar Maple. Walnut has a brittleness you dont get as much in sugar maple. There may be some exceptions to the rule from tree to tree but I believe on the whole its true.
Dave Blaisdell

The other DWS

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 01:23:06 AM »
Define "tougher more durable wood"  VBG ;).   Our gunstock maple has more of a twisted, braided grain which makes it mechanically stronger that straight grain walnut since most native american walnut has a more open grain structure.  Hybrid and grafted walnut may be a bit better.
  I think that given similar grain structures walnut may be slightly more brittle.  When it comes to the fancy and complex grains, anything can happen.
  One problem in comparing is that there are several kinds of maple (also true for walnut as well) and even within those kinds relative strength can vary incredibly depending on the actual growing conditions and the grain structure of a specific tree and how it has been treated since the tree was cut down and sawn into stock slabs.  Another factor is that most of us want some nice looking wood and few of us look at our guns as impact weapons.

The lumber/timber industry has several scientific scales that can serve to compare various woods for differing usages.  those scale might prove enlightening.   One can also consider the various woods the military allowed to be used for gunstocks,  production costs and availability were considerations but up to and through the end of WW2, and even Korea the military specified stocks that would serve if needed as impact weapons and also to handle the leverage issues of bayonet use.  To the best of my recollection, mil spec called for Walnut, beech, and elm.

Just as an aside, I wish I had had the foresight to secure some of the old  er--er--er "water" or swamp elm we cut for firewood on my grand dads farm as a kid. They had been killed by the Dutch elm disease and were pretty seasoned while still standing.  The fibres were so twisted and braided that it could only be split in the dead of winter when the moisture in it was frozen.  Some of the larger logs were quartered with small 1 or 2 inch charges of dynamite placed in holes granddad augered along  the length of the trunk.  I suspect it'd have made a heck of a stock once shaped stained and finished,  but it'd have been a nasty beast to carve

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 01:36:24 AM »
Most of the maple is used for pallets and some for railroad ties,,,,anyways ,from what I've seen in Wisconsin. Pallets have to plenty tough.....Fred

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 02:45:54 AM »
Thanks guys. I have a guy thats thinking on a smoothbore build an he asked me so I asked you.. ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

excess650

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 02:49:53 AM »
Most of the maple is used for pallets and some for railroad ties,,,,anyways ,from what I've seen in Wisconsin. Pallets have to plenty tough.....Fred

Most of the pallets that I've seen here in Pa are oak, but I don't see oak being used for gunstocks.  I've encountered maple that didn't readily cut with a file, but I can't say the same is true for walnut.  Most walnut has larger pores than maple.

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 03:08:04 AM »
Sugar Maple by a long shot.  Just a little friendly advice, if you're planning to buy any Walnut, I strongly suggest avoiding anything that is a hybrid - most of it is coming from Asia (like everything else) and it's complete garbage with extremely open grain that splits and splinters like crazy and very soft.
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

The other DWS

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 03:26:01 AM »
Just make sure to get your wood from an established quality supplier.   I am gunshy about most of the modern american walnut due to its large pore and wide growth ring structure. 

Most of the 18th century walnut stocks I looked at when I was researching imported european trade guns had a much tighter denser pore/grain structure that I associated with the european walnuts.   I have grown to like American wild cherry wood stained with a dark deep penetrating walnut stain for most of my 18th century projects.     

I have little hands-on experience with the typical figured maple that I associate, perhaps incorrectly, with slightly later era arms.