Author Topic: A Decamp long rifle ( new photo)  (Read 9101 times)

Offline Nit Wit

A Decamp long rifle ( new photo)
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:47:32 AM »
I recently purchased a virginia longrifle made in 1996 by Decamp. It is a sweet rifle. What are his guns worth??
Thanks
Nit Wit
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:49:56 PM by Nit Wit »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: A Decamp long rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:54:48 AM »
Every penny.

Not trying to be a wise guy (it comes naturally) but it's hard to ballpark a maker's guns.  Art is better known for his horns I believe but am sure he makes a very fine rifle.

Most forum folks are reluctant to price anything not theirs as there's no good outcome.  If you lowball it, then the maker is upset; if you aim high then somebody else may chime in and say, "I don't think so!" and pretty soon we have a tempest in a teapot (not unusual here) and nobody is the better for it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Nit Wit

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 03:49:41 PM »
The story is that it cost 1000 dollars plus parts in 1996,I'm guessing1800-2000.
I will keep it ,use it and enjoy it. My problem(a good one) is that I have a Roy Stroh rifle in the works.
Nit Wit

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:01:10 PM »
The story is that it cost 1000 dollars plus parts in 1996,I'm guessing1800-2000.
I will keep it ,use it and enjoy it. My problem(a good one) is that I have a Roy Stroh rifle in the works.
Nit Wit
I know that good ol Art is a great horn maker (top shelf stuff) and a darn good chunk shooter (found that out the last couple or so years...)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »
I recently purchased a virginia longrifle made in 1996 by Decamp. It is a sweet rifle. What are his guns worth??
Thanks
Nit Wit

Again, not sounding like a smart ass, it's worth exactly what you paid for.  Nothing more, nothing less. 
And FYI, I believe Art has had a longer association with KRA than the horn guild?  His specialty seems to be screw tip horns and believe it was a result of some research while a KRA member.  Keep a look out for his book coming March covering many schools of screwtip horns and with his attention to detail the book should be something to look forward to.  That and an early spring!  ;D
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline hornturner

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:59:55 PM »
Thanks for the comments on the rifle.  Glad you liked it enough to purchase.  I think I may remember that rifle, but if you could post a photo of it I could be certain.  That way I may be able to pass along more information about it.

Art DeCamp

Offline Nit Wit

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 02:17:13 AM »
GE:
Its worth a $#*! of alot more than what I paid for it. I basicly said I'd buy it without seeing it. When the fella hauled it from the truck, I fell in love. I have been doing this for 39 years. I have bought a bunch over the years but none finer.

Nit Wit
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:17:20 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline FALout

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 05:10:15 AM »
Post a pic
Bob

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 04:56:41 PM »
1996 model?  Must have been one of Arts First guns, that would have put him in his late teens I believe.

B Dixon

F&AM 376.

excess650

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
1996 model?  Must have been one of Arts First guns, that would have put him in his late teens I believe.

B Dixon

F&AM 376.

LOL! probably more like early 40s!

Offline Nit Wit

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 02:54:33 AM »
I'm trying to get a picture on, please bear with me, we just got electricity in Maine last week!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:16:30 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline hornturner

Re: A Decamp long rifle ( new photo)
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 09:00:22 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos of the rifle.  I had forgotten how much figure was in that stock.  The rifle is patterned from an original I used to own.  I think the original was possibly from the York, PA region, or possibly Virginia.  As I recall it has an L&R Manton flint lock, and a .45 caliber straight barrel from Green Mountain.  I am certain that it has killed at least two deer in my hands, and it was the first rifle I actually made that I killed a deer with!  I also missed at least one deer, (shot a tree instead) with it.  Sold the rifle to a fellow from New Jersey at Dixon's a few years ago, as I recall.

Hope you enjoy it, as it always came up and held well for me.  Very accurate.  Built my first rifle back in 1980, and this one is probably about #12 or 13.  So long ago I can hardly remember anymore.

Sincerely,
Art DeCamp 

Bill

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 01:50:22 AM »
I look at this rifle and it's so patently obvious that his talent is without limits!

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 05:15:09 AM »
Art's work is among the best out there and he's a nice guy to boot! ;)

Shine

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 11:43:30 PM »
WOW now that is somthin.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »
The man's talent knows no bounds ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning