Author Topic: Potential Henry Huffman rifles  (Read 4468 times)

huffman

Potential Henry Huffman rifles
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:50:53 AM »
I'm new here and posting this in response to a post that nord in the library section:
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=3045.0

Below are two rifles I have and though someone out there could shed more light on them that what I know. Gun #1 is supposed to be a Henry Huffman and now that I've done some closeup photos I'm beginning to thing #2 is also. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Will post individual photos in different sections for each to eliminate confusion.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 08:50:41 PM by Dennis Glazener »

huffman

Rifle #1
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:55:49 AM »
This gun is 58" overall and has a 42" barrel.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 08:51:24 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Potential Henry Huffman rifles
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 03:27:33 AM »
This one looks like it was a flint but not sure its the original lock. How about some close-ups of the other one.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

huffman

Gun #2
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 04:25:13 AM »

This one is 57" overall and the barrel is 41-3/8". I'm curious about the FMAN and NCTR stamped on the side plate.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:28:38 AM by huffman »

huffman

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 04:36:33 AM »
I inherited both of these guns. Know almost nothing about them and have had them stored for more than a decade. I'm assuming because of their condition they hold little value. Both are obviously not in firing condition. Would be interested in knowing more.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 04:53:14 AM »
I'm curious about the FMAN and NCTR stamped on the side plate.

It says LEMAN  LANCTR.P (for Lancaster, PA)
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:30:30 PM »
Gun 2 defintiely appears to be a late Leman trade rifle.  That does not necessarily mean "Indian Trade" - as Leman rifles like this were commonly sold and used all over the place as inexpensive working rifles - in the third quarter of the 19th century.  I have seen a number that came out of the southern mountains.  The architecture, mounts, lock, wrap around fore end inlay and artificially striped stock are all signatures of Leman guns of this era.

However, the tack decoration obviously looks Native to me; I just don't know enough about brass tacks to know if these look period or not. In either case, it appeasrs to be a Leman, ca: 1850-1870 era give or take.

Guy
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:33:35 PM by G-Man »

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:32:07 AM »
The first rifle has Huffman characteristics, the triggers, the stamped name on the barrel with the circles stamped around it, the stock profile, but there are a couple of well versed NC gun guys on here that can clarify the gun for you.  I would have to agree that the second one doesn't look to be anything other than a Leman gun and an interesting one.  Neat brass tack work.  Glad to know the rifles descended in your family. 
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline halfstock

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 12:58:57 AM »
The 2nd one is deffinatly a lehman.