Author Topic: PA Cunk Gun shoot  (Read 13854 times)

lakehopper

PA Cunk Gun shoot
« on: January 19, 2012, 05:56:08 AM »
When:   July 14,2012

Where:  The Medhia Game Farm, E. Waterford Pa.

Time:  Practice shooting  starts at 8:00 AM Match starts at 10 AM

Over the log at 60 yards, 10 shot match closest to the X

Cost $30.00, pig roast and prizes after the match

Call to register:  Don Singer...............717-734-3965
                          Don Getz..................717-463-4041
                           Larry Landis.............717-248-4863

Come join us; lots of fun, big shooters show up, great food, good drinks; Hope to see you there; no inlines open sights and round ball only.

Glenn

Offline Jerry V Lape

Re: PA Cunk Gun shoot
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 07:10:40 AM »
Man you spell skunk funny!   :D

lakehopper

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:04:30 PM »
 :o :o :o OOPS I meant to say CHUNK SHOOT, speling was not a  good course for me in scool.

I can spell and smell skunk ;D ;D

Thanks for the heads up Jerry V Lape

Dogshirt

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:15:55 AM »
What is a Cunk gun, no matter how you spell it! The term is new to me, spelled right or not.
I DO know it's Chunk gun, but?????????????????????? I don't think I've EVER heard the term before I found this forum, is it something y'all do in the foreign countries east of the Rockies?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:19:03 AM by Dogshirt »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 04:25:27 AM »
Here's a start:
http://www.hootalrifleshop.org/over_the_log_shoot1.htm

A little more:
http://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/20610091/m/9361099152/p/1

NMLRA:

CHUNK GUN
5400–NUMBER OF SHOTS–The target is a white X on a black background with three shots fired for score. More than the required number of hits
will be the same as Rule #10590
5410–CHUNK GUN RELAYS–The relays for this match will be 45 minutes in length, or as stated in the program.
5420–SIGHTS will be open fixed, as per rules #5010 and #5020
5430–CHUNK GUN RIFLE The rifle may be either flint or percussion ignition, of either the traditional hunting or traditional target type, or as
specified in the program, with no limit as to weight or caliber. The rifle may not be equipped with a false muzzle.
5440–SHOOTING POSITION–The match will be shot in the prone position with the muzzle of the rifle rested over the chunk. Kneeling or sitting
behind the chunk is not allowed.
5450–TARGET SCORING–The match will be scored by string measure. From the center of the X to the center of each shot hole, shortest total string
measure wins.
5460–CHUNK DESCRIPTION–The chunk may be any round, square, or rectangular block of wood that is of a size suitable to use. Small blocks of
wood, padding , or sandbags may be used on top of the wood block to raise the muzzle.
5470–PAPER SPOTTERS–Will be made by the shooter and may be of any size, shape, or color. The spotters may be pinned, stapled, or taped to the
target the way the competitor wishes.
5480–GROUND COVER–The use of shooter-supplied ground covers to lie on is permitted.
5490–TARGET DISTANCE–The targets will be hung at a distance of 60 yards in front of the firing line.
5500–WIND FLAGS–Are allowed in chunk matches, as per Rule #2340
5510–SPOTTING SCOPES are allowed in chunk matches.
5520–COACHING–of a competitor is not allowed in chunk matches, in accordance with rule #5000
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:29:33 AM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 04:37:06 AM »
Oh dang - the link didn't work. I wanted to see someone shoot that inline rifle. :(

Dogshirt

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 05:44:51 AM »
So it's just a rested prone shoot? Been there done that.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 07:57:37 PM »
"just a prone shoot" - with roots back to Boon and earlier. Over the log match.  It's one thing firing away at a target and another to make a good string - say 3 1/2" for 10 shots?

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 12:30:10 AM »
Dogshirt, It's not quite that easy.  First the match is ten one shot targets, which are scored, measuring the center of bullet to the X., and the ten distances are added for your score.  Smallest measure is the winner.  Still sounds simple, until you understand that you don't actually see the target, as it is posted under your spotter target.  You see you start the game by posting a spotter target, that you shoot at for the whole match.  After your warm up, and attempt at a tight group, you then place your first target behind the spotter target where you hope hit it in the X.  Hopefully right behind a tight three shot group.  You then do this over and over for ten  separate targets.

Here's some pic's of a better known Chunk Gun Shoot  It's held on the Alvin York Farm Pasture, now a State Park.

One of the loading stations with good advice! They're going down to change their target.

prizes, Prime Rib, and other goodies

The line for the morning relay, over 200 shooters total.  Around 100 on each relay

Eric Lau-Michigan Flinter loading up.  Notice all the different types of spotter targets.

The whole prize wagon.  Ribeye, salt cured hams, Turkeys, powder, and other goodies. Everyone wins something, I got three pounds of ground round for 131st place.  And good exercise, you end up walking about a mile back and forth twelve times 60 yards ;D

Bill

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:40:33 AM by Bill of the 45th »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 02:19:20 AM »
Dogshirt, come on down to Phoinx AZ on Feb 29-Mar 5 and shoot in the NMLRA Western National shoot. We have a couple of chunk gun matches you can warm up on before going to the York match. Lots of other matches too.  Smylee

Dogshirt

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 04:51:38 AM »
February is dogsledding season! I go out to shoot, but ALL travel is to the races until April.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 03:07:33 AM »
Bill--great photos. Thanks!

Maybe someone can answer this for me. I've heard about the York style matches with 10 targets for score. But I've read NMLRA rules descriptions of (I think) 3 shot matches for chunk guns at Friendship. What's up with that?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 05:16:09 AM »
Kermit, I think they have more than one type of match and some have three shots and some have more maybe 10.   Smylee

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 06:42:54 AM »
The difference between the Alvin York shoot and Friendship is that Friendship operates the whole shooting line to a time limit for each relay.   When you shoot a normal chunk gun match, there is no time limit and the line stays open until every one has fired his single shot at his target.  It may be open only ten minutes, or can be longer if someone has gun problem
I believe that the relays at Friendship are 45 minutes (correct me if I'm wrong), therefore they had to make some changes
to their matches..........Don

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 07:39:14 AM »
I enjoy the Chunk matches, because, their's room for the serious guys, and those of us that are competing with only ourselves, and are there for the fun of it, besides I like hamburger, and the chance to learn.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 10:30:13 PM »
Due to only having 1/2 the afternoon to run the match for all who show up, I have 2, 20 minute relays at Hefley for my chunk shoot.  Each 20 minute relay is for 5 shots to be fired on one target.   We then parade down, post a new scoring target, move the spotter, of course, hand in 'shot' targets and have another 20 minute relay. They're done, next group, post spotter for up to 5 shots - also 20 minutes allowed. So, if things go smoothly, we can run a line of fire for 25 shooters in about an hour and 1/2.  Last year, we had 2 groups with some late arrivals and we weren't finished scoring until almost time for coucil fire, which is supposed to be after supper - a couple barely sandwiches for supper dueing council fire and everyone's happy.

Measuring, even dial with calipers, adding and documenting each target takes a lot of time. Next year, perhaps I'll get Kerry to assist if he will.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »
I know spotters are pretty much whatever an individual wants to point his/her sights at, but what about the chunk itself? Most photos I've seen show that's wide open too. Some rules seem to talk about solid hunks or blocks of wood and sandbags and such. Can there be limits like that?

I built myself a nifty adjustable wooden rest (based on what I've seen in photos) that can change height and tilt the legs for uneven ground--love it. Our range is a pretty rough field.

And I'm still in favor of picnic tables and such for the less nimble. I'm not over that hill myself just yet, but I believe I can see the crest from here.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »
Kermit,
The "chunks" can be anything that will support the rifle, adjustable for height or angle. The only thing that I am aware of that is forbidden is the use of anything that will lock the rifle barrel down or keep it from sliding freely back and forth or sideways. Some shoots allow for the use of sandbags. I also am in favor of the picnic table, or some such, as I am starting over the hill.
Mark
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »
 Here's Taylor's chunk the first time we shot the match.

These are the 'chunks' we use now. They are also what I gave for prizes at our chunk shoot.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
Daryl,
Your current chunks are similar to what most of the fellows are using around here also.
Mark
Mark

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 10:39:06 PM »
Daryl,
Your current chunks are similar to what most of the fellows are using around here also.
Mark
Yes, I used to drag a section (a short one) of railroad tie and finally got rid of that and went to similar of photo.  That railroad tie section was beginning to stretch my arm/arms. 8)

Daryl

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 01:40:28 AM »
I saw some pictures of similar rests and simply made wrote down some dimensions - I think?  Taylor helped me mass produce 12 for prizes for the first chunk shoot, 4 categories, 1st through third.  Not sure what I'm going to hand out this year.  Maybe priming horns, pre-cut patch boxes, etc, or some such.

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 05:42:41 AM »
Cunk gun?  Heck I thought they caught Cunks in nets.  Had it for dinner down in Key West a few years back.  kind of chewey.............They even got a Cunk Train.   

Hun, why do just stand there behind me reading my post?  What?   C   O   N   C  H ?,,,

Shi..........

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 07:17:23 AM »
How about that adjustable rest, just another one of my inventions that caught on.   One of the early years at the Alvin
York shoot, One of the Bevel Brothers had a chunk with a briggs & stratton engine on it.   He did not shoot real well and
blamed it on the chunk, claimed he couldn't get his engine started.........Don

Daryl

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 06:11:07 PM »
Your design, Don- why, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!