Author Topic: cleaning carbide burr bits  (Read 4250 times)

The other DWS

cleaning carbide burr bits
« on: January 21, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »
Not sure where else to ask this.  (Moderators, if there is a better place please move it)   I have several of the expensive carbide burr bits for my Dremel hand grinder that were used on aluminum ( not my me).  they are loaded up solidly,  I had loaned my Dremel outfit to a friend who is building an airplane.  I'd like to get the aluminum out since I like those bits for VERY CAREFUL removal of hardwood.   Is there a solution or solvent that will dissolve the aluminum and not damage the burrs?   Is there another forum or site somewhere that might have an answer?

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
Re: cleaning carbide burr bits
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:21:30 PM »
If they're true carbide you can heat them beyond the melting point of the AL w/o damaging them, just don't air/liquid quench - once the AL is to the soft point a wire brush will wipe it off.
Mark
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 05:44:45 PM »
If you try the heat method watch out if the shank of the tool is steel and the cutter is braised on. You may seperate them. Try a magnet on the shank.  Some one with a chemistry backround may correct me,  but I thought aluminum was reactive to caustic chemicals. Perhaps a Lye soak would break it down?
BJH

billd

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 05:45:41 PM »
Most carbide burr bits we use have a steel shank with the carbide burr part silver soldiered to it.  Don't melt the soldier!!  I think it melts around 1200'

Bil

Offline kutter

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:28:14 PM »
BJH has a good idea,,,,A lye soln will break down aluminum and not effect the steel.
The stronger the soln (water) the quicker the effect. Even faster if the soln is heated.

A strong boiling concentrated soln will make aluminum sputter and disappear when dropped into it.
Ask any 'gunsmith' that does hot salt blueing that has unknowingly put an alloy part into the tank.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:30:45 PM by kutter »

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
If you try the soak, it should go without saying. Don't breath the fumes, and do it in a well ventilated area.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 03:13:17 AM »
Most AL alloys will melt or soften enough to be brushed out at 1000-1150°F and they'll heat much faster than the WCx tooling.  Typical silver/nickel brazing alloy used on WCx tooling has a melting point >1380°F.  You're not putting the fire to it like you're fixing to forge it, just play the flame on while working the brush, anything missed will easily peel off when it cools down.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 03:32:01 AM »
Not sure where else to ask this.  (Moderators, if there is a better place please move it)   I have several of the expensive carbide burr bits for my Dremel hand grinder that were used on aluminum ( not my me).  they are loaded up solidly,  I had loaned my Dremel outfit to a friend who is building an airplane.  I'd like to get the aluminum out since I like those bits for VERY CAREFUL removal of hardwood.   Is there a solution or solvent that will dissolve the aluminum and not damage the burrs?   Is there another forum or site somewhere that might have an answer?

Boil in strong lye water.
This will aggressively attack aluminum.
Red Devil or drano crystals.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

WoodHunter

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 07:30:22 AM »
Old style full strength Easy Off.

Don't breath the fumes!!!!

Scrape out with a sharp scribe and a stiff stainless steel wire brush.

Don't loan tools to "friends"!!!!!

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 11:36:14 AM »
Takes less than a minute to clean with torch & brush, no toxic fumes or haz-mat to dispose of.

westbj2

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 03:29:25 PM »
Gather up the Dremel outfit, burrs and all.  Give them as a present to the fellow who borrowed it for the airplane project.  In the long run, you will be better off without it.
Jim Westberg