Author Topic: Shooting the 62 caliber  (Read 60870 times)

Offline Ian Pratt

Re: Shooting the 62 caliber
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 05:24:46 PM »
  If you are referring to the posts Dan or I were making as uninvited I have to take issue with what you have said. If the purpose of this web site is to increase our knowledge through the sharing of information I believe you have to allow for this kind of conversation. I suppose I'd agree with you in some cases, but I don't feel this was one of them. A lot of great information is available here from people with all levels of experience in different matters relating to the longrifle. I think if some of that knowledge pops up in a tangential conversation within a thread, so be it. 
  Of course if you were not referring to these posts... well I guess I made that point just for the $#*! of it. Slow start this morning, needed something to talk about.
  By the way Dan, "anomaly" may be a little less strong than "hare's breath from a fantasy gun", but maybe we can talk more about it through e mail, I think we have both stated our cases to everybody here. 

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »
I think that if you seperate what are commonly accepted to be some of the earlies surviving rifles, these seem to have larger bores than later examples.  For example, RCA 142 (68 caliber), Marshall rifle (possible re-used barrel, 58 caliber), Schreit rifle (60 caliber), Musicians rifle (58 or 60 caliber I believe), RCA 118 (55 caliber), Faber rifle (60 caliber).

I think this is sort of analagous to the common statement of "original barrels having much less swamp than modern reproduction".  There are many times as the number of surviving later guns than these earliest few.  Again, I think the time period must carefully be considered. 

Jim

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2012, 07:39:45 PM »
I think that if you seperate what are commonly accepted to be some of the earlies surviving rifles, these seem to have larger bores than later examples.  For example, RCA 142 (68 caliber), Marshall rifle (possible re-used barrel, 58 caliber), Schreit rifle (60 caliber), Musicians rifle (58 or 60 caliber I believe), RCA 118 (55 caliber), Faber rifle (60 caliber).

I think this is sort of analagous to the common statement of "original barrels having much less swamp than modern reproduction".  There are many times as the number of surviving later guns than these earliest few.  Again, I think the time period must carefully be considered. 

Jim

The subject requires RESEARCH. THEN a conclusion. Most people have done this backwards in regard to calibers.
As I stated the accepted dogma is often WRONG. When we discuss bore size as "larger in the early rifles" we have to ask larger than what? A 1850s 30 caliber squirrel rifle? A 50 to the pound Golden Age rifle? Gen Ashleys 69 caliber Hawken? Ever THINK about WHY he might want one of these? I have a theory. He sure did not need to to hunt with. But it would shoot 300 yards off a keelboat with more authority than a 50 or 54 if the natives were unfriendly. A valid reason for a 67-72 caliber rifle in Colonial America as well.

I keep wondering about the 1757 inventory of Indian Goods at Rock Creek
"abt 1 dzn 4ft square [octagonal; a common mistake] barrel'd Guns very small Bores- best Iron mounted & stocked like Rifhells..."
Now I have to wonder what was a very small bore for a smooth rifle in 1757? 42? 44? 50? 54? Nobody knows.
What size were the rifles in the next entry?
It is obvious that small bore guns were known. It would not take long to determine that it did not take a one ounce ball to kill game.
Given the economics, as mentioned in the 1760s, the large bore guns would have soon been seen to be an unnecessary expense for people of low income. I have friends of my generation that tell me of shooting deer with 22 rimfire largely because it was CHEAP or it was what was in their hand when the came across the deer. If you needed meat and it was not hunting season the 22 is a far better idea than a 30-40 Krag. The sound indicates a different purpose if its even heard.
We have a thread on this site with a photo of a BOX FULL of freshing tools, but we don't want to think that the 58 or 60 caliber rifle we want to recreate might have been freshed 3-4-6 times over its 100 year service life and started out as a 50. This gores the cow.
The Marshal rifle was likely freshed, the Schriet maybe not, it was in Europe after all but it may have been shot for 20 years previous to "migration".
Its not an easy topic to sort out and to most people its not important. Its like detailed barrel dimensions, rifle weight and rifling pitch. Collectors, in general, are not interested in these. But I am.
When we consider calibers of long rifles we need to do more than look at surviving rifles listed bore size (which can very significantly depending on who looked at the rifle. These are only a PART of the picture. A clue. There are other clues that are just as valid if not more so.
THEN we have people like Cline reboring and freshing original rifles, flint and otherwise, in the 20th century to "improve them" as shooters. Bill Large freshed or rebored a lot of originals.
How does THIS effect the caliber discussion? I submit that is very unlikely that a Kentucky built in 1775 and then used to any extent still has its original bore size even if it was never bored smooth.

Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2012, 10:36:25 PM »
I agree Jim, just look at how hairstyles have changed every 10 years or so in the last 60 years :o........then there are the retro types who really screw up the history!! ;D ;D  is it a 2010 style or a retro 1970 style??

Course some of us don't have any  hair to worry about anymore...... we post on the internet about styles of long rifles.... ;D ;D ;D

This has been an interesting thread..... the choice of .62 or not guns coming from many different perspectives....
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Flinter

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2012, 11:18:52 PM »
"If you are referring to the posts Dan or I were making as uninvited I have to take issue with what you have said."

I love early American history, and especially the study of the firearms they used. I think it is interesting to hear from Jim Kibler, Ian, Dphariss, and other knowledgeable people using grafts of rifle calibers and comments. I do not feel this is uninvited in anyway.

I got my .600 .62 balls in today, and I have to say I am disappointed. I thought for some reason they would be much larger.

I may just get the rifle in 62 caliber.

Decisions! decisions!

BrownBear

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2012, 11:24:57 PM »
I got my .600 .62 balls in today, and I have to say I am disappointed. I thought for some reason they would be much larger.

Just lay one of them next to a 50 cal ball!   ;D

Or if your mind runs the other way, order up some balls for a Bess (.715-.735 depending).  I'm not saying you need to go up to a 75 cal rifle to get the job done, but those balls are pretty dandy conversation stoppers around the guys proud of their modern muzzleloader substitutes.

excess650

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2012, 12:00:35 AM »

Just lay one of them next to a 50 cal ball!   ;D

Or if your mind runs the other way, order up some balls for a Bess (.715-.735 depending).  I'm not saying you need to go up to a 75 cal rifle to get the job done, but those balls are pretty dandy conversation stoppers around the guys proud of their modern muzzleloader substitutes.

I have been shooting a .58 and .62.  I have already shot a .69 (rifled) and .72 smooth.  The .69 was built as a 31" Jaeger and weighs a featherlight 7#.  It definitely lets you know that you've launched some lead even with 100gr Swiss ffg.  I view that particular rifle as a hunting rifle only because of its recoil.  My .62 is much more pleasant with even 140gr ffg, but I normally shoot 100gr.  My .58  with 100gr is a pup compared to both the .69 and .62 .

Build and shoot what you want, whether someone thinks its HC or not.  If its a flinter and you're shooting REAL black, its good!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:16:45 AM by excess650 »

Flinter

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2012, 01:48:03 AM »
BrownBear, I went out to the shop and got a 54 caliber ball, and the 62 is a lot bigger now.  ;D

Man... a Jaeger! I thought about one of these, but I have decided to get a Hawken instead. It looks I may end up with four flintlocks and one caplock.
I'm not even going to count the T/C. Black powder is all I shoot.

Daryl

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2012, 02:55:12 AM »
I say, by all means, build the annomoly.  I'd much rather shoot a .62 than a .50 - but, not in a Hawken, sorry. With what Taylor's takes to work well, it has a nasty bite to it.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2012, 03:28:39 AM »

By the way Dan, "anomaly" may be a little less strong than "hare's breath from a fantasy gun", but maybe we can talk more about it through e mail, I think we have both stated our cases to everybody here. 

Heh heh! I seldom post what I really think.

In the thinking on all this it comes me that a lot of people when someone says to study the rifles they get out a book and look at the photos. Its necessary to do this to become familiar with the form and decoration. I do it constantly for that very reason.
But it does nothing for how they were actually used or how useful or effective they might be. This requires some level of use of the firearms and thinking about the conditions under which they were used. This is not done by a lot of people.
For example when JJ Henry lost his rifle in the river he lost a rifle, apparently, of about 50 balls to the pound.
70 rounds of 50 to the pound weighs less than a pound and one half.  70 rounds of 16 to the pound (for a 67-68 caliber) weighs just under four and one half pounds. The extra 3 pounds could have been a serious impediment depending on the circumstances.
But from our living rooms such things as having to cross a river on foot with all your "kit" does not occur to those who study the guns as photos in a book. The extra weight of the large bore "fantasy rifle", if you will, ammo could literally be life or death.
Very few trail walks require people to ford rivers so deep they have to leave their rifle in the river to survive as apparently happened to Henry. Things like this are not "on the radar". But they were very real to people like J.J. Henry.
The extra weight of a larger bore rifle is just a PITA on the march as well.
But then this is not 1775 and people are certainly free to make what they want to use or think they need.
But to nit pick certain things as being not HC  then make a rifle that is marginally HC or worse seems a little two faced to me.
I have friends with 62s and larger, here and in Canada. Taylor and Daryl both have valid reasons for having large bore rifles. I have a 16 to the pound rifle because I wanted one for decades. But when I hunted with it I paid more attention to how many balls are in the pouch. With a 50 or 54 I put in a hand full, check the powder in the horn and go.

(balance removed would not want to be accused of being a broken record.)

But then a Chief Pilot once told me when I said I thought I might be talking to the students too much in flight "don't worry about it, they only hear half of what you say anyway". Sometimes I get that feeling here.

Dan

PS
If JJ Henry had written that the rifle be bought to replace the one he lost was 20 or 16 to the pound it would be just as interesting...

Flinter

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2012, 03:47:35 AM »
Daryl, you said in post number # 7, "The hooked plate is stopping him from feeding it more..." Will you explain this to me? Could the breech and tang be damaged by shooting 100 to 120 grains of 2f in the .62 caliber?
 What is, "build the annomoly."?

excess650 mentioned a Jaeger, which would be better in a 62, but I am wanting a caplock.

I guess I am hard headed, but not so that I will not consider your advice.

I say, by all means, build the annomoly.  I'd much rather shoot a .62 than a .50 - but, not in a Hawken, sorry. With what Taylor's takes to work well, it has a nasty bite to it.

excess650

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2012, 04:55:58 AM »
Daryl, you said in post number # 7, "The hooked plate is stopping him from feeding it more..." Will you explain this to me? Could the breech and tang be damaged by shooting 100 to 120 grains of 2f in the .62 caliber?
 What is, "build the annomoly."?

excess650 mentioned a Jaeger, which would be better in a 62, but I am wanting a caplock.

I guess I am hard headed, but not so that I will not consider your advice.

Daryl is referring to the rifle becoming uncomfortable to shoot because of too much drop in the stock, too narrow buttplate, and that evil crescent, not a structural problem with the barrel or tang.

Transitional rifles are a bit longer and more slender than what is normally referred to as a Jaeger, but there were longer barreld Jaegers in Europe prior to 1750.  Look into the Christain Springs rifles,  the John Schreit  1761 rifle, Edward Marshall's rifle, the Martin Meylin rifle, etc.

I have both percussion and flint rifles and prefer to shoot flint.  A proper flint is as quick as a percussion rifle.

Percussion Jaegers are not unknown, but if you're set on percussion, build a Purdey style English rifle.  They're graceful, lightweight, and stocked properly to handle the recoil.

Daryl

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2012, 05:13:10 AM »
what he said- exactly

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2012, 06:25:17 AM »

In the thinking on all this it comes me that a lot of people when someone says to study the rifles they get out a book and look at the photos. Its necessary to do this to become familiar with the form and decoration. I do it constantly for that very reason.
But it does nothing for how they were actually used or how useful or effective they might be. This requires some level of use of the firearms and thinking about the conditions under which they were used. This is not done by a lot of people.
For example when JJ Henry lost his rifle in the river he lost a rifle, apparently, of about 50 balls to the pound.
70 rounds of 50 to the pound weighs less than a pound and one half.  70 rounds of 16 to the pound (for a 67-68 caliber) weighs just under four and one half pounds. The extra 3 pounds could have been a serious impediment depending on the circumstances.
But from our living rooms such things as having to cross a river on foot with all your "kit" does not occur to those who study the guns as photos in a book. The extra weight of the large bore "fantasy rifle", if you will, ammo could literally be life or death.

Dan - agree with you about needing to be familiar not only with the use of these guns but to understand the conditions that they were used under at times. Also want to reiterate that my comments are largely based on my own study and handling of original guns. Books are a wonderful tool, and again the reason I suggested the book as a convenient reference is that many here do not have the same access to original guns as others.   

Question for you -  the owners of all those well documented thousands of big bore trade guns - many of whom relied on their guns daily for their very survival - do you suppose they felt closer to death for carrying the lead required to feed their weapon? Probably no way to answer that accurately, but I am interested in your opinion.   

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2012, 06:34:58 AM »
My .62 cal  Edward Marshal being a moose gun, spends more time in canoes,than being carried. The extra weight of the larger balls really isn't an issue.  I like bigger balls for moose 'cause carrying 1/4's out after a 1000 yd dash into the bush isn't fun  :(    It's better if they drop as close to the canoe as possible .[ but not too close !  :o  ]

Flinter

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2012, 03:00:57 PM »
OK, thanks for clearing that up for me, excess650. Since Daryl backed you up, I believe you. There is no backing up, because I have already sent a deposit for a Hawken build. I have my eye on an iron mounted rifle from Lowell Haarer, but I may just wait on the rifle that Ian is going to build. Either way, it will be a .54 caliber.

"A proper flint is as quick as a percussion rifle."
My Jim Kibler flintlock sometimes has a almost instant lock time, or what ever you call it. I have heard from people that shot it say, "Man, that thing is fast, or it shoots every time you pull the trigger."

I am probably going to hear, "I told you that that .62 caliber Hawken is going to kick."

Now that I have seen the 62s bob in the woods, I do not see any problem carrying a few 62 caliber balls to my deer stand.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »

Dan - agree with you about needing to be familiar not only with the use of these guns but to understand the conditions that they were used under at times. Also want to reiterate that my comments are largely based on my own study and handling of original guns. Books are a wonderful tool, and again the reason I suggested the book as a convenient reference is that many here do not have the same access to original guns as others.   

Question for you -  the owners of all those well documented thousands of big bore trade guns - many of whom relied on their guns daily for their very survival - do you suppose they felt closer to death for carrying the lead required to feed their weapon? Probably no way to answer that accurately, but I am interested in your opinion.   

What documentation?

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2012, 05:36:46 PM »
OK, thanks for clearing that up for me, excess650. Since Daryl backed you up, I believe you. There is no backing up, because I have already sent a deposit for a Hawken build. I have my eye on an iron mounted rifle from Lowell Haarer, but I may just wait on the rifle that Ian is going to build. Either way, it will be a .54 caliber.

My Jim Kibler flintlock sometimes has a almost instant lock time, or what ever you call it. I have heard from people that shot it say, "Man, that thing is fast, or it shoots every time you pull the trigger."

I am probably going to hear, "I told you that that .62 caliber Hawken is going to kick."

Now that I have seen the 62s bob in the woods, I do not see any problem carrying a few 62 caliber balls to my deer stand.

Anyone that thinks a flint is as fast as percussion needs to look at Larry Pletcher's videos.
This is a Manton, about as fast as they get.
http://www.blackpowdermag.com/featured-articles/slow-motion-at-gun-makers-hall.php
The priming does not light until after the cock is at rest in every lock he tested.
The ignition cycle even from the time the cock stops is just too complex.
In a percussion the ignition cycle is virtually identical to that in a cartridge. Most of the "lock time" is from sear break to cap detonation. With a flintlock the time from the cock stopping to flame propagation in the pan is about equal. This alone doubles the time, and the cock fall is longer as well from scraping the frizzen.

Dan

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »
Dan,

This topic has brought a question to mind if I may.  How many guns in Rifles of Colonial America have you handled?  How many have you actually seen in person?  A simple number answer will be sufficient.

Thanks,
Jim

Daryl

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2012, 07:25:45 PM »

Flinter, shooting 85 to 100gr. of 2f won't be a recoil problem at all and will kill every deer you hit.  If you want to get into some accuracy shooting, you'll have to use loads that will not be pleasant to shoot with the narrow butt. By all means, build what you have your heart set on, merely be aware of the consequenses, is all.

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2012, 07:35:33 PM »
  Dan - here's a great new resource, something that will get you started, and I am sure you (and others who may be interested) can find plenty more on your own  -

http://www.muzzleloadermag.com/Book%20Reviews/2011/BookReview_JA11_A.html

I'm not going to post anything else on this matter within this topic, maybe we can pick it up elsewhere. 

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2012, 08:16:48 PM »
  As I mentioned before, the last .62 rifle I built performed very well - admittedly only out to fifty yards - with a 1 in 56 twist and a load of between 90 and 100 grains of Goex 2f. This rifle was a near copy of an early rifle thought to have been made in Virginia, a long barreled gun with some good mass and a wide butt, was quite comfortable for me to shoot even though the fit was not ideal as it was built for a customer. Sighting some of these right hand guns in while shooting left handed can get interesting. At the time I remember I had just built several smaller caliber rifles in a row and it was a real treat to blast away with the big gun for a while, after sighting in I spent about a half a day shooting for fun when I should have been working.
  I often wish I had taken the time to shoot the rifle at a longer distance to see how it would have performed. Any other larger caliber rifles I have made had slower twist barrels, 1 in 70 for example. I'm wondering af anybody who has any practical experience shooting patched roundball in bigger bored rifles with faster twists would care to comment?

Some of these earlier guns I have mentioned had what we now regard as suprisingly fast twist rates for the bore size and relatively deep, round bottomed rifling grooves. Many of us would regard say a 1 in 40 twist impractical to say the least in a large bored rifle, would result in a "rainbow trajectory" and perhaps reduced stability at longer ranges - but what are the requirements in the backcountry in the early / mid 1800's? How efficient is the powder  we're feeding this beast at that place and time ? Would it make sense that a thick patch, perhaps not of cloth, would be used fill those deep grooves and would sit on top of a charge of slower burning powder than we are used to as moderns? Some of these guns were in many ways only a hair's breadth away from the matchlock and snaphaunce guns that were in use here not long before. Dang, more cans of worms and I said I was going to quit.
  I'm having a couple barrels made to the specs of a couple of these originals, including the deep grooves, fast twists, funneled muzzles etc, plan to do some controlled shooting with them, stay tuned for the results. Probably will be a while. I'll send up a flare before I post about them and we can all re- convene.   

BrownBear

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2012, 08:36:22 PM »
I'm having a couple barrels made to the specs of a couple of these originals, including the deep grooves, fast twists, funneled muzzles etc, plan to do some controlled shooting with them, stay tuned for the results. Probably will be a while. I'll send up a flare before I post about them and we can all re- convene.   

I'm really looking forward to that.  A bud has a 62 with 1:48 twist and square rifling, but I can't tell you who made it.  It's been interesting to shoot with him, to say the least.  It's startlingly accurate with moderate to mild loads down to 60 grains of 3f, yet on par with my own slow-twist 62 (1:72) at 120 grains of 2f.  Mine is unsatisfactory to say the least with loads below 100 grains using any powder.  I had visions of using reduced loads for head-shooting snowshoe hare, but have been sorely disappointed.  Maybe it's the quality of the barrel, and maybe it's the twist.  It is quite accurate with heavy load, however. 

I've decided that if and when I acquire another 62 it's going to have a 1:48 twist.  I have three 58 cals with 1:48 twists, one with a 1:32 and another with 1:72.  I can find no difference between them with heavy loads that can be written off to twist rate.  But with light loads (60 grains or less) the 1:72 suffers, while the 1:48's purr.  The standout is that 1:32.  It's an unusual Oregon barrel tapered 1 1/8" to 15/16" in 26 inches, but considering the full range of powder charges I've tried, it's by far the most consistently accurate.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2012, 01:40:29 AM »
  Dan - here's a great new resource, something that will get you started, and I am sure you (and others who may be interested) can find plenty more on your own  -

http://www.muzzleloadermag.com/Book%20Reviews/2011/BookReview_JA11_A.html

I'm not going to post anything else on this matter within this topic, maybe we can pick it up elsewhere. 

OK I see the problem now. You seem to have confused French trade guns with American longrifles. An understandable mistake since they both use rocks for ignition.
Thanks.

Dan

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2012, 04:01:14 AM »
  No sir I have not, but there's a good chance you've confused some folks here. Have a nice day.