Author Topic: montana rifle barrel .32 caliber  (Read 4281 times)

Bill

montana rifle barrel .32 caliber
« on: January 21, 2012, 08:11:03 PM »
I have a .32 cal Montana rifle barrel that I am planning to use to (hopefully) build my son a rifle. I have googled the company and they don't seem to be in business any longer. Can anyone tell me about the company. The barrel is new, never been fired w/ the breech plug already installed.
thanks for any information
bill

Offline smylee grouch

Re: montana rifle barrel .32 caliber
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »
I think they were out of Kailspel and if my memory serves me right they made good barrels acording to other people that I have delt with.   Smylee

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 09:05:56 PM »
I wonder if the equipment that was once owned by Baska was sold to what became Orion Barrel co. that became Montanna Barrel co. I am thinking they were all out of Kalispell MT. I may be wrong but how many rifle barrel companies are in Kalispell?
Dave Blaisdell

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 09:52:48 PM »
That might be so Dave and what about Sharon and H&H barrels?   Smylee

Offline Ray Nelson

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 10:26:31 PM »
I used Montana barrels in 40 caliber many years ago and they were very accurate. Jerry Cunningham was owner at the time and produced many barrels at affordable prices.

I would think your 32 cal. barrel will be very accurate to shoot as well. The twist was 1-66 if I remember correctly.

Ray

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 10:31:40 PM »
Sharron barrel co's  Equipment was bought by Joe Williams of the GunWorks and calls it Oregon Barrel co. He does good work for an OLD guy ;D
Dave Blaisdell

Bill

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:09:53 PM »
It certainly looks like a finely made barrel to me. I have looked quite closely and can't even see the line where the breechplug connects to the back of the barrel. I hope it will be a good barrel without being too heavy for him as it's  3/4" across the flats and 35 1/2" long. It won't be a very big rifle, but then he's not that big right now either. :)

Offline rsells

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 11:42:46 PM »
I used Montana barrels when they were available and had good results with them.  I have only used .45 and .50 cal barrels, but do not have any reason to believe that a .32 would not shoot well.  I shot a .50 cal  for several years back in my early years and was able to win a large number of the matches I shot in with that gun.  Wish I had not sold it!
                                                                Roger Sells
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:45:10 PM by rsells »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 05:12:46 PM »
I would sell it to someone that thought it was cool and buy a Green Mountain. Much better barrel.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 06:16:53 PM »
I have a One of these barrels in th Orion reincarnation of the company on my squirrel rifle in .36 cal. I have no complaints about its accuracy. It shoots better than me! The squirrels do though ;D
BJH

oldiemkr

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 11:51:36 PM »
Got the same barrel on my squirrel gun. No problems at all. It was built in the early 80's if I recall correct.

Something tells me that the smaller calibers were not fully cut rifling but maybe button rifled. Next time I get in the safe I'll check it out.