Author Topic: maple?  (Read 3791 times)

The other DWS

maple?
« on: January 22, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »
hard, soft, sugar, red, somewhere or other I seem to recall a "rock maple" and a "vine maple" now "pacific big leaf" !!!!!   How many kinds are there?  Which ones are good for what?   ??? ???do we have some sort of basic gun-stock wood "primer" on the site here that i've missed? ::)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: maple?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:03:43 PM »
hard, soft, sugar, red, somewhere or other I seem to recall a "rock maple" and a "vine maple" now "pacific big leaf" !!!!!   How many kinds are there?  Which ones are good for what?   ??? ???do we have some sort of basic gun-stock wood "primer" on the site here that i've missed? ::)
From reports the big leaf maple is good, red Maple is Ok sometimes, they say, eastern hard (sugar) maple is the best.
I have a long standing mistrust, distaste, hatred of Western (Oregon) maple.
Given the level of encouragement I have received to order red maple rather than hard maple I would not be surprised to learn the "hard maple" I am working right now was red maple.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:04:40 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:10:29 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, "Western maple" and bigleaf maple are names typically used for the same species.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:23:01 PM »
Vine maple is a small, twisted tree, good for bows but I doubt if it gets big enough to make a good stock blank. Not living where it grows, I have no first hand knowledge about the tree.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 11:59:40 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, "Western maple" and bigleaf maple are names typically used for the same species.

If this is the case and it may very well be, then where it comes from will have a major effect on its suitability.
Some is like white pine with curl. Very soft and very hard to make a smooth cut in. Basically garbage.
Taylor tells us that the wood he gets as Big Leaf and is hard and dense. Possible that a few hundred miles difference in latitude may make for a much different stock wood. Or the stuff I was inflicted with was actually western grown silver maple or some such?
From the table below it looks like Hard Maple is a best choice.
I suppose if a person could hand pick Red maple it might be OK. But only the densest is like  Hard Maple.
And Northern grown will always be better. Northern grown red maple might be better than southern grown hard maple. But both grown in the same grove?
The table indicates that Big Leaf is not that much different than soft maple.

Dan

From http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/differences-between-hard-maple-and-soft-maple/

Type of Maple   Average Density   Typical Weight Range

(in pounds per cubic foot)
(10% coefficient of variation)

Hard Maple      44 pcf         39.6 to 48.4 pcf
Black Maple     40 pcf         36 to 44 pcf
Bigleaf Maple    34 pcf         30.6 to 37.4 pcf
Box Elder         32 pcf         28.8 to 35.2 pcf
Red Maple      38 pcf         34.2 to 41.8 pcf
Silver Maple    33 pcf         29.7 to 36.3 pcf
Striped Maple    32 pcf         28.8 to 35.2 pcf

The other DWS

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 03:13:32 AM »
Are all "sugar maples"  hard maple, or all true maples period, capable of producing maple sap/syrup/sugar?  I guess I'm sorta assuming that "sugar" maple is more of a common-usage term than a real biological classification.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 07:26:53 AM »
Are all "sugar maples"  hard maple, or all true maples period, capable of producing maple sap/syrup/sugar?  I guess I'm sorta assuming that "sugar" maple is more of a common-usage term than a real biological classification.

Good question.
The Hard Maple is  Acer Saccharum. Literally Sugar Maple.
I had always heard that hard maple was the sugar tree. Wikipedia says Hard, Red or Black Maple can be used..
For what ever that is worth.
But apparently the Hard Maple and Black Maple have the highest sugar content and make the best syrup.

Dan